Retail to hospital Job?

Started by spoon714
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

spoon714

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey,
I wanted to see if any rph have any advise regarding transitioning as a retail rph to a hospital rph especially since you've only worked retail PT. My friend have some concerns regarding making IVs since he only did IVs in school and is worried since its a little more, i guess the word is "riskier" than retail. He doesn't have much experience with it since he's only worked retail and fairly new grad. Do rph get trained in making IVs at a hospital? do you do the calculations or input in a computer? Thanks!
 
Ahhh this is what makes me not worry about market saturation

I'm hoping that as admission standards continue to dwindle, those of us who have proven ourselves capable only become more valuable as time goes on.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Does your friend have a pending offer from a hospital?
Odds are he won't even qualify for an interview so I wouldn't worry too much about it.

I see. He wanted to move into hospital and wanted information but I figured to ask those who are working a while on SDN since I don't know the answer regarding hospitals
 
It's nothing he can't learn. Pharmacy schools didn't each IV preparation back in my day (not even on my rotations, but that may have been my selection), I had tech experience from working in a hospital though, which was quite helpful for my first hospital job. Surely there are some videos on You Tube about sterile technique, I know certified tech testing books have a chapter about compounding IV's.