retail to hospital

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nyastlc

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
after working in retail for 4 years I am finally burnt out... i was able to get to a job as a hospital/institutional pharmacist. to be honest the last time I touched an IV bag was when I was in school and have forgotten the basics and would love to brush up on everything. unfortunately I have gotten rid of all of my pharmacy books and notes and was wondering if there were any books out there that you guys could recommend so I can brush up on the basics. I was thinking of getting the Harrisons drug info book to get the basic dosage formulations and dosings... are there any books out there that you guys could recommend? and do you think should I just buy the recent rxprep book to prepare on the basics?

Members don't see this ad.

What type of hospital / patient population? Honestly, I'd just get some sort of quick review kind of book. A lot of those comprehensive books are just too impenetrable. When I started in peds oncology I picked up a nice overview book, like 200 pages, it was way easier to digest. I have the BCPS review material and thought I'd read it to brush up on stuff, but man it's a lot.

If your hospital has a reference like UpToDate that will be helpful. You'll learn a lot as to go by just reading about things as they happen.

You can go online and find pharmacy dilution exercises, you might also brush up on converting percentages to mg/ml (i.e., 5%=50mg/ml). As for dosing, the computer system that you use should have a set of standards or a menu set that will help you determine basic ranges. You might also want to ask your colleagues for a hospital standard regarding osmolarity for NICU/PICU orders and may be for the TPN(s) regarding peripheral and central lines. The rest will come with time.