Retail vs Hospital internship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sdh02

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello. I'm a current P1 student working in local community hospital as a pharmacy intern/student.
I applied for this position before I even started a pharmacy school, got a job offer, and started working since then. I did not have any Rx experience back then and I was really desperate to find some kind of pharmacy job. I usually worked about 16 hours/month during semester since our hospital is pretty small and only have couple pharmacy students working during weekend. However, as I enter second semester of pharmacy school and preparing for Summer break, I found out that this hospital wouldn't give me lots of hours, where I need to work close to full time during break in order to accommodate living cost Although 16 hours/month seems pretty ideal shift for pharmacy student, I also noted that hospital is lacking fund and occupied by techs so my shift is pretty restricted to one weekend, unless other techs go on vacation or something. On my first semester, I had my first IPPE rotation in CVS and it was busy and frustrating environment, however, I felt more comfortable toward the end and because I want to stay on top of game in terms of post-grad job market, I applied for CVS internship position couple weeks ago and I'm currently on hiring process now. My only concern is that I initially wanted to keep both hospital and CVS intern job throughout my years, since my ultimate goal is to work as full time pharmacist in retail and part time in hospital, if possible. I'm not interested in doing any kind of residency and I heard from some people that nowadays CVS is hiring if you worked with them as an intern during pharmacy school year. If I were to keep both job during school year, it's gonna be 16 hours hospital + 32 hours in CVS (minimum hours, 8 hours/week commitment), which would make 48 hours a month. I'm not sure if I will be able to handle both so I was thinking about giving up current hospital position in favor of CVS intern position. I asked for advice to many classmates and they were all questioning why would I want to go for retail internship when I have decent hospital job, which does make sense since not many people in our school are getting hospital internship. I don't know if I should try to keep both jobs or if I do have to choose one which one should I go for it. Any insightful comment is appreciated. Thanks for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

Since you have experience now why dont you try and find a new hospital job that may have more hours available?

Worst case just do the CVS summer internship program then go back to only your hospital job when thats over with.

IMO you should keep the job thats hardest to get.