Retail Vs Hospital

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cactus124

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ladies and Gents:
I have two retail offers and one hospital, which is better::confused:
1. CVS
2. Walgreens
3. Memorial Hospital
in Southern California area.

Pay is almost same in retail but a little less in hospital (not much though).I have not been able to make up my mind. Please provide your inputs so that I can make an informed decision.

Members don't see this ad.

Hard to say because I'm not you, and I don't know you personally.

First I'd decide if you want to work hospital or retail. If retail, then I'd say Walgreens. They're a pretty fair company.

Agreed. Let me re-state it. Is it better to work in retail or hospital?

Members don't see this ad :)
Depends on which hospital....is that EG White Memorial Hospital?

Since this an anonymous forum, I'm sure you'll have no problem telling us the exact salary figures for each. :)

But I'll say this. Getting a hospital position can be harder down the line with so many students doing residencies and being more competitive. However, retail jobs are plenty and almost anyone can get one anytime, anywhere.

With that being said, I'd go hospital to try it out. And if all sucks, go to retail. I'm sure some chain will hire you.

Or is that Long Beach Memorial Hospital??

Since no one has given you a specific opinion, I'll give you mine.

If you want to try hospital pharmacy, doing it young & with few relative committments (not sure this applies to you or not...) - I'd say, do hospital pharmacy first.

That will give you an opportunity to expand your clinical & interprofessional skills.

I can't comment on Walgreens or CVS since I have no personal knowledge of either of these - however, unless you've been committed to expanded MTM opportunities, travel & immunization medication administration/dispensing, etc.....you'll be a retail person forever & always.

Now - that is not ALWAYS the case - there are plenty of folks who transition the other way. But, your skillls in hospital will help you in retail. After having done both, I don't think the reverse is as easy.

Good luck & congrats on the job offers!

Ladies and Gents:
I have two retail offers and one hospital, which is better::confused:
1. CVS
2. Walgreens
3. Memorial Hospital
in Southern California area.

Pay is almost same in retail but a little less in hospital (not much though).I have not been able to make up my mind. Please provide your inputs so that I can make an informed decision.

IMHO, retail sucks, it sucks big time. If your gonna do retail, get a moderately paced store, just enough to pass time and not to slow that you will lose your mind! Do not look at monetary value. Choose the place where you see yourself practicing for a long time. Do you see yourself in retail (opening up bathrooms and being an ins adjuster) for a long time, or working in a clinical setting like a hospital for a bit less money and possibly being a bit more content? If I had to choose again, it would be hospital for me. I guess its just what you can take. I have done 3 years of retail and am ready for a change. CVS and walgreens? EIther one, it's all the same. Pay is the same, benefits the same, and same BS. Good luck!

It is possible to do both. A lot of the floaters I work with at CVS have hospital day jobs and float 1-2 nights per week with CVS. This could let you experience both worlds and make a more educated decision in the future.

Sort of along these lines, but most of the pharmacists I know have several jobs. The psychiatry and nuclear pharmacist both worked at walgreens once a week. I knew another pharmacist at publix who worked at a hospital once a week.

hospital all the way!

i'd sell my body on the street-corner before i worked retail again.