retail vs. independant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PharmEm

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to find a pharm tech job and was wondering if there was a difference in working at a retail store (CVS, Walgreens, Albertsons, etc.) vs. working for an independant store.

Members don't see this ad.

Independent pharmacies typically dont have the round-the-clock hours the big chains do, most around here close at 5-7pm :eek: so if this is a problem or a plus for you there you go.

PharmEm said:
I'm trying to find a pharm tech job and was wondering if there was a difference in working at a retail store (CVS, Walgreens, Albertsons, etc.) vs. working for an independant store.

I dont' know completely, but I've worked in an independent for 5 years and I think it would be a good bit different than an retail. We had "charge accounts" for customers and that became part of our job. Also, we (pharm techs and pharmacists) knew how to do basically everything in the pharmacy--as opposed to one person specializing in one area. We swapped tasks (i.e. entering rx's, counting, working the register etc) throughout the day. I've been told retail is more about having one person stay in one place for a while and do one task.

I like the independent atmosphere a lot. The hours are good as far as being able to still have school. They worked around my school schedule a lot.. just my personal experience. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with fairyofsong - I currently work in a chain store and an independent. Everyone, including techs, have far more responsibilities when working in an independent pharmacy. You learn far more at an independent in my opinion. In chain stores.. the roles aren't as blurred.

Another point I'd like to bring up is that if you're looking forward to patient interaction, you'll see far more of it in an independent. From my experience.. there's just no time for that in a chain store :(

ilovepharmacy said:
I agree with fairyofsong - I currently work in a chain store and an independent. Everyone, including techs, have far more responsibilities when working in an independent pharmacy. You learn far more at an independent in my opinion. In chain stores.. the roles aren't as blurred.

Another point I'd like to bring up is that if you're looking forward to patient interaction, you'll see far more of it in an independent. From my experience.. there's just no time for that in a chain store :(

Can the independent pharmacies compete with the chains? I was wondering if there will be less and less independent ones in the future. It seems like it would be hard to compete with a company like walmart or eckerd.

RLK said:
Can the independent pharmacies compete with the chains? I was wondering if there will be less and less independent ones in the future. It seems like it would be hard to compete with a company like walmart or eckerd.
A pharmacist I know started an independent pharmacy about 3 yrs ago; now he expanded it to three. The area is dominated by Walgreens, but he managed to do that. So either he has very good business skills or there is a demand for an independent pharmacy, I suppose.

RLK said:

Its tough - but not impossible. There is a Rite-Aid right across the street from the one I work at. You have to be creative - find things that chains can't offer. For instance, our independent store is the main provider of prescription services for about 5 of the nursing homes and assisted living facilities in the area. We specialize in multi-dose/unit-dose packaging for patients. We also supply DME products. We have regular health screenings of something or another. Also, its smart to be located close to several doctors offices and also pay them personal visit every few months to.. well, kiss their a** and hope they'll send their patients over. Most importantly - customer service! I would like to go to a chain store that has a pharmacist that knows all their regular patients personally and steps out from the counter a few times a day to carry on a conversation about bond prices or have all the staff laughing with the patients over some joke.

Every once in awhile I'll hear about so-and so's pharmacy closing and selling the files to Walgreens or whatever.. but I hear quite a few pharmacists who leave chain stores to open up their own.. You just have to have the drive and knack for it in my opinion...