TauPathology

Member
10+ Year Member
Jul 5, 2006
95
0
FL
Status
Pre-Medical
Ok, so my university has a letter of recommendation service that holds and collects letters for you and sends them out after secondaries. They give you an option to waive your right to see the letters in the file. A copy of your decision is sent along with every recommendation form to the professors writing the LORs. So my question is, should I retain my right to look at these files? Will it sit well with professors when they know I will be able to look at what they write?
 

rajad10

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 7, 2004
646
1
34
Status
Medical Student
TauPathology said:
Ok, so my university has a letter of recommendation service that holds and collects letters for you and sends them out after secondaries. They give you an option to waive your right to see the letters in the file. A copy of your decision is sent along with every recommendation form to the professors writing the LORs. So my question is, should I retain my right to look at these files? Will it sit well with professors when they know I will be able to look at what they write?
do you go to UF?

any yes, you want to waive your right to all your letters. if you don't waive, it looks fishy
 

R.P. McMurphy

Guest
10+ Year Member
Apr 23, 2006
2,958
1
Status
Pre-Medical
rajad10 said:
do you go to UF?

any yes, you want to waive your right to all your letters. if you don't waive, it looks fishy
:thumbup:
 
About the Ads

CTtarheel

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 23, 2006
775
2
Status
Medical Student
I'm not sure that medical schools will even accept your letters, let alone actually read them if you haven't waived your right
 

jackieMD2007

***MVI***
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 23, 2006
2,510
4
The Hospital
Status
Resident [Any Field]
You are expected to waive your right. The letters will be better if you do anyway.
Some profs will offer you a copy regardless.
 

leahmaria

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
Jun 25, 2006
1,017
0
Midwest
Status
Medical Student
doctajay said:
Yeah, waiving it is always the best solution. and you will probably be able to view them after your first year of medical school.
Do you have access to your admissions file after your first year of medical school?
 

rajad10

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 7, 2004
646
1
34
Status
Medical Student
leahmaria said:
Do you have access to your admissions file after your first year of medical school?
wouldn't that be nice
 

Haemulon

Slippery When Wet
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 1, 2006
3,596
2
On SDN
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Waive your right. If you want to know what the letters said, ask your recommender for a copy later on (if he/she will print one for you). I had one recommender provide me with an extra copy and I didn't even ask. Was a great boost to see the positive comments, but you should already know that your letters will be positive when you ask for them. So really no need to see them.
 

dantt

Member
10+ Year Member
Jun 28, 2006
729
38
Status
Medical Student
CTtarheel said:
I'm not sure that medical schools will even accept your letters, let alone actually read them if you haven't waived your right
It's supposedly against the law to make waiving your right a condition of admission.
 
OP
T

TauPathology

Member
10+ Year Member
Jul 5, 2006
95
0
FL
Status
Pre-Medical
Yes I do go to UF. Thanks for all the input. I decided to waive the right, what you all say makes sense. The only reason I wanted not to was to make sure my LORs satisfied all the categories specific medical schools were looking for. Rajad10, if you know anything else helpful for pre-meds at UF, let me know.

Thanks again everyone!
 

Em1

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 9, 2005
569
1
Status
Medical Student
dantt said:
It's supposedly against the law to make waiving your right a condition of admission.
It's not an *official* condition of admission, but schools won't give your LORs much weight if you don't
 

rajad10

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 7, 2004
646
1
34
Status
Medical Student
TauPathology said:
Yes I do go to UF. Thanks for all the input. I decided to waive the right, what you all say makes sense. The only reason I wanted not to was to make sure my LORs satisfied all the categories specific medical schools were looking for. Rajad10, if you know anything else helpful for pre-meds at UF, let me know.

Thanks again everyone!
well, i would remember to give the LOR service ample time before your deadlines. they take forever, especially since we have a new LOR coordinator.
 

odrade1

UASOM alum
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 4, 2005
514
3
Planetary
Status
Resident [Any Field]
TauPathology said:
Yes I do go to UF. Thanks for all the input. I decided to waive the right, what you all say makes sense. The only reason I wanted not to was to make sure my LORs satisfied all the categories specific medical schools were looking for. Rajad10, if you know anything else helpful for pre-meds at UF, let me know.

Thanks again everyone!
Waiving the right is a good idea. If you have a competent pre-med advisor or letter committee at your school, they will let you know if one of your letters doesn't satisfy the requirements of adcoms.

Remember that although it is innapropriate to ask the letter committee, the adcoms, or your advisor how "good" the letters were, it is ok to inquire whether or not the letters satisfy the requirements of the adcom/letter committee.
 
About the Ads