Retake Calc I? and the value of As

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

le0331

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My advisor suggested that I take Calc I over again since I got a C in it 8 years ago.

I'm confident that if I take it again, I'll get an A so the question is, how does it effect my GPA with the C from 8 years ago?

What's the deal with As and A+s having the same value and then A-s being worth less than an A? I have 3 A+s and none of them make up for the one A- I have. Ripoff.

Is Calc included in the science GPA score?

Thanks,
Leo

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Leo,

For osteo schools, I don't think the math is included in your science gpa (not true for AMCAS). I wouldn't bother. It was 8 years ago. Do well in the courses that rely heavily on math like Physics.

I wouldn't worry too much about +/-. There are more variables that schools look at in your app. If you have a trend of mostly Bs and Cs, then that is a different story. If you have mostly As, volunteer work, research, other interests, then great, you are in good shape. I think the trend is more important than minutia.

I had a C in Calc I and no one (open file interviews) asked about it. I wouldn't worry about it as long as your sciences are good.