Retake Calculus For Harvard?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

capnamerica

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to get some of your thoughts on my situation.

Due to some health problems I was experiencing last summer, I received a D in calculus. I'm pretty confident that if I retook it, I would be able to pull off an A. However, I will be writing the DAT, taking Biochem I and II, and applying to dental schools this summer simultaneously.

I know some schools like Harvard and Meharry have calculus as a prerequisite, and I've seen quite a few posts on SDN advising retakes of courses if you received anything lower than a C.

Bearing all of this in mind, what would your suggestion be?

Members don't see this ad.

Just wanted to get some of your thoughts on my situation.

Due to some health problems I was experiencing last summer, I received a D in calculus. I'm pretty confident that if I retook it, I would be able to pull off an A. However, I will be writing the DAT, taking Biochem I and II, and applying to dental schools this summer simultaneously.

I know some schools like Harvard and Meharry have calculus as a prerequisite, and I've seen quite a few posts on SDN advising retakes of courses if you received anything lower than a C.

Bearing all of this in mind, what would your suggestion be?

You'll definitely have a lot going on, but I bet the class will be cake the second time around. The question isn't if you should retake Calculus, it's when you should retake it. I'd get it over with when the material is still fresh on my mind. Especially if you have Harvard in mind, you don't need Ds. In anything.

You'll definitely have a lot going on, but I bet the class will be cake the second time around. The question isn't if you should retake Calculus, it's when you should retake it. I'd get it over with when the material is still fresh on my mind. Especially if you have Harvard in mind, you don't need Ds. In anything.

Well, I think that's what I need to figure out. When I looked up the requirements for different schools, only a handful of schools have calculus as a prerequisite. With my GPA being 3.64, I don't know how much of a shot I'll have at schools like Harvard even if I retake and get an A in the course...

Members don't see this ad :)
A handful have calc as a prereq, Harvard requires calc 2.

Even if you get an A, then you still need calc 2 for Harvard I believe. And if you struggled with calc 1 then calc 2 will likely be extremely tough. Youre GPA is competitive for many schools, but not for Harvard. Besides will the grade be replaced or averaged? I just wouldn't go through a ton of trouble for a school that is going to be a big reach thats all. Best of luck either way.

Even if you get an A, then you still need calc 2 for Harvard I believe. And if you struggled with calc 1 then calc 2 will likely be extremely tough. Youre GPA is competitive for many schools, but not for Harvard. Besides will the grade be replaced or averaged? I just wouldn't go through a ton of trouble for a school that is going to be a big reach thats all. Best of luck either way.

Well, the calc course was full year, so it was both 1 and 2 combined. From my understanding, both grades will be counted. Can someone attest to this? Yeah, I agree. Harvard is a crapshoot even with a 4.0 and strong DAT. Thanks guys!

Retake if you want to improve your GPA but don't count on getting in to Harvard. I wish you the best of luck and hope your Harvard application ends more successfully than mine. Even with a pretty bulletproof application that got me into UCLA with their highest scholarships on Dec 3rd, Harvard rejected me without even an interview.

This does indeed stand true for most schools. Don't expect to get in anywhere. Just put forth your best effort and you'll be alright. If that means getting that D off, do it in a well planned manner and spare yourself the "maybe I'd have gotten into school X if only I had a better grade in calc" moment.

Retake if you want to improve your GPA but don't count on getting in to Harvard. I wish you the best of luck and hope your Harvard application ends more successfully than mine. Even with a pretty bulletproof application that got me into UCLA with their highest scholarships on Dec 3rd, Harvard rejected me without even an interview.

This does indeed stand true for most schools. Don't expect to get in anywhere. Just put forth your best effort and you'll be alright. If that means getting that D off, do it in a well planned manner and spare yourself the "maybe I'd have gotten into school X if only I had a better grade in calc" moment.

Thing is, I'm in grad school atm, and so time is an issue for me. Still, I'll mull it over. Thanks!

The words retake and Harvard shouldn't be used in the same sentence.
:)

I also had bulletproof app (3.9, 23aa, Africa volunteering, etc) and I didn't get interview. The class is only 35 students so they are very selective. They only accept 1 Canadian a year, and sometimes none.

Got A+ in Calc 1 and 2, but I guess they didn't really care... Too many overqualified students. Also I'm an Asian guy, and they only take 3-4 Asian guys a year. Tough competition.

I also had bulletproof app (3.9, 23aa, Africa volunteering, etc) and I didn't get interview. The class is only 35 students so they are very selective. They only accept 1 Canadian a year, and sometimes none.

Got A+ in Calc 1 and 2, but I guess they didn't really care... Too many overqualified students. Also I'm an Asian guy, and they only take 3-4 Asian guys a year. Tough competition.

I would hope that they don't put a quota on Asian applicants. Reminds me of the days when there were quotas on Jewish students.

Thing is, I'm in grad school atm, and so time is an issue for me. Still, I'll mull it over. Thanks!

I'd probably skip the calc re-take then. If it isn't essential, and your GPA/ academics are in decent shape you don't need to make your life more difficult.

I totally understand the rejection given 35 spots, and their selective admissions process. All the more reason for the OP to either skip this retake or do it for more practical reasons. Didn't really look much into demographics because I absolutely loathe quotas and stuff...in hindsight I probably should have. I am an Indian and technically India is in Asia, but my people are rarely considered "Asian" by the white man! So I can definitely be sure it has nothing to do with my ethnicity. I just know it that Alan Dershowitz read my mind and thwarted my entry to Harvard! :laugh:

@UCSFX2017 - That's f***ed up...thanks for ruining my day with that depressing story :( (no fault of yours)