Retake calculus in college or take AP Credit

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted927028

Hi,

My daughter is a freshman premed student. She had a 5 in AP Calculus AB in the high school. Can she use the credit from it or is it better to take the calculus course again in the college? Will Med schools be ok with AP credit ? Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

For what its worth, I didn't take calculus and got accepted. Most med schools don't require it. I'd only have her take it if shes interested or if shes required by her undergrad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I took the BC version of the course and used my AP credit and got accepted. Few schools require it anyway

Another point of view, an A in a college calculus course could look nice on her app.

Reactions: 1 user
Agree with Gonnif here. Many schools need a year of math which can include any math courses, preferably stats being one of them.
if Calc1 is taken in high school thru AP credit, Calc2 + stats in college that would solve the problem.
if Calc2 is taken in hight school thru AP credit, then calc3 + stat in college would be the best or you can repeat calc2.
Sometimes taking calc3 is better as calc3 is prereq for physical Chemistry(if you plan to take it)

I took AP Calc, Stats, and Calc 2. I had no issues with the 25 schools I applied to. Calc seems to be the most lenient of all of them for AP credit. Just check with individual schools to be sure. Or better yet, what her degree requires as well

Medical schools (except for Harvard, WashU and JHU) will not see Calculus II as any more impressive than Calculus I. I made this grave mistake - scored a 5 on AP Calculus AB, took Calculus II in college and got a C+, destroyed my GPA. Tell your daughter to retake Calculus I in college, get an A, and then take statistics to get her full year of math. I so wish that I had done this.

I'd recommend taking a biostats course and leaving it at that. There may be a very small chance that your daughter ends up accepted to a school that requires calc AND doesn't accept her AP credit, but in that rare case she can just take it at a CC the spring before matriculation

Thank you all once again for the invaluable input/advice. I will convey the ideas to my daughter

Medical schools (except for Harvard, WashU and JHU) will not see Calculus II as any more impressive than Calculus I. I made this grave mistake - scored a 5 on AP Calculus AB, took Calculus II in college and got a C+, destroyed my GPA. Tell your daughter to retake Calculus I in college, get an A, and then take statistics to get her full year of math. I so wish that I had done this.
This!