Retake class?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jessomally

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I have a quick question for you all, if you don't mind. I started college as an engineering student at penn state, but I failed calculus II twice. I then switched to biology, a major which does not require calculus II. Now that I'm applying to DO schools, do you think that I should retake calc II? I'm thinking of taking it either online or in my local Community college this summer. How bad is it to apply to DO schools with an F on my transcript? my cumulative gpa is a 3.225. If I retake calc II and get an A in it, it will be a 3.34. The only complication here is that I need to study for the MCAT this summer, which I'll be taking on 7/14, so I'm kinda torn between investing my time in Calc II, or investing it in MCAT. Do people get into DO schools with F's in classes that are no longer relevant to the applicant's major? Or do I have to retake it?

Thanks
Jessie

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everyone,

I have a quick question for you all, if you don't mind. I started college as an engineering student at penn state, but I failed calculus II twice. I then switched to biology, a major which does not require calculus II. Now that I'm applying to DO schools, do you think that I should retake calc II? I'm thinking of taking it either online or in my local Community college this summer. How bad is it to apply to DO schools with an F on my transcript? my cumulative gpa is a 3.225. If I retake calc II and get an A in it, it will be a 3.34. The only complication here is that I need to study for the MCAT this summer, which I'll be taking on 7/14, so I'm kinda torn between investing my time in Calc II, or investing it in MCAT. Do people get into DO schools with F's in classes that are no longer relevant to the applicant's major? Or do I have to retake it?

Thanks
Jessie

Hi Jessie,

If I were you, I would retake it. You failed twice... and even though math courses aren't included in your science GPA with AACOMAS, it still doesn't look good (almost like you quit) to have lingering F's... and it's bringing your GPA down (a 3.225 to 3.34 is a significant boost).

I don't mean for this to come across rude... but since you took calc II twice, do you feel comfortable with the material by now? If you retake it at a CC, I'd imagine you won't have to study a LOT because it will be so familiar to you... you might just need to focus on your test-taking skills or reviewing techniques? If this is the case, then I don't think your MCAT will be that affected.

Another option is taking calculus in the Fall. Is this possible? This way it'll be after your MCAT.

Additionally, just because a class isn't part of your major doesn't mean it's not relevant to your medschool application. Getting a "C" in art history will probably be overlooked... but math is possibly the most important and relevant non-science class on your application, so that's why I'm suggesting you retake it. That, and you have to prove to the schools that you can do well in it.

retaking it in the fall is an option, its just that by then, med schools may have already made up their minds about me. I figured if I took it this summer, then I would be able to update them in early august with my new grade before they decided on my application.

also, I do have a decent grasp of the material, it's just that I took calc I so long ago, and I've forgotten many of the concepts taught in it, which calc ii builds upon.

Members don't see this ad :)
retaking it in the fall is an option, its just that by then, med schools may have already made up their minds about me. I figured if I took it this summer, then I would be able to update them in early august with my new grade before they decided on my application.

also, I do have a decent grasp of the material, it's just that I took calc I so long ago, and I've forgotten many of the concepts taught in it, which calc ii builds upon.

Ah ok. Well, I think you should take that chance and do it in the Fall. I forgot if there's a section that says "future coursework" for AACOMAS... hopefully there is. If not, then you can send the schools you apply to an update letter saying you're retaking the class. They might invite you for an interview still, and leave your acceptance letter pending until after they receive your calc II grade.

Just my opinion. :)

Did not know that AACOMAS do not calculate your math grades into your sGPA. That is a bummer since I got B+/A- in calc and that is helping my sGPA a lot!

Did not know that AACOMAS do not calculate your math grades into your sGPA. That is a bummer since I got B+/A- in calc and that is helping my sGPA a lot!

I'm totally bummed too, as I had an A in pre-calc, A in calc 1, and B in calc 2.

I was considering taking Calc II online... Has anyone here ever done this? If so, can you recommend any online school for it? community college vs online, does it matter?

just plan on taking it in the fall and indicate on your app that it is a future class to be taken. BAM! problem solved. pimpin ain't easy but sure is fun.

I feel like I just got rick rolled by the AACOMAS...I registered to take two ochem at my home university only to find out today that they won't replace a full year ochem I took at another institution a few years back.

Damn...

I received a C- in a lecture portion of my Gen Chem class. I received a B+ in the lab portion. My university divides the lab and lecture person. Some DO schools combine the grades, so I would have a C/C+, but some schools do not. The schools that do not combine the grades, will not accept my C-. I am retaking it at a community college by my house. I called a few DO schools and they said, its not a problem and I should just say that the re-take is in progress, regardless of the school.

Anyone have any experience with this?

What about taking the class a third time at CC since it will cost 5 times more at Uni because I have to be charged out of state on third attempts.

Should be fine... do well on the retake.