Dismiss Notice
Check out the new Application Assistant, where you can calculate your LizzyM score, see how you rank compared to other applicants, and see a list of schools where similar students were accepted.

retake classes or focus on mcat?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical Osteopathic [ DO ]' started by milaya, 01.15.14.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. milaya

milaya

Pre-Medical
    Hello,

First time posting on here... looking for some helpful advice. I've been planning to take the MCAT this May and then apply to DO schools in June but my GPA is setting me back. I had a rough start in college but have shown a general improvement in my undergraduate courses. According to AACOMAS, I'm currently looking at a 2.91 sGPA, 3.38 nsGPA, and 3.13 cGPA. I know stats are low. But again, considering what I started with, this is a step in the right direction. Pursuing DO is somewhat of a recent decision but I know it is what I want and I'm ready to take on any challenges that may set me back. That's why I'm trying plan my actions carefully.

My original plan was to focus on studying for the MCAT from now on till May. Shoot for a high score. Get primaries in. Then, retake some classes to increase my GPA. But now I'm thinking that my sGPA is hurting me too much. If I retake 2 or 3 classes while studying for the MCAT, I could increase my sGPA to 3.015, nsGPA to 3.5, and cGPA to 3.25. It's not much of a increase, but at least it would be over 3.0.

Should I retake classes to slightly increase GPA but risk a lower MCAT score? Or, focus only on getting a high MCAT score and hope for the best with what I have and retake classes after getting my primary applications in?

Any advice? opinions? personal stories?

Thanks!

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Dr. Zombie

Dr. Zombie 2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    MCAT will always be a gamble no matter how hard you've studied for it. Bring your science GPA up. It will open up a lot of doors for you and then worry about the mcat early summer.

4. JDMcNugent

JDMcNugent 2+ Year Member

Medical Student (Accepted)
    Will your re-takes be in either physics, gen/org chemistry, or gen bio? If you did a re-take or 2 while studying for the mcat, the re-take(s) may actually aid you quite nicely in science content review so you can bring up your sGPA and get some extra mcat content review at the same time. You can re-take these at a community college so it will be cheaper and probably smaller class sizes.

Definitely get the science over a 3.0 but also study hard and efficiently for the mcat so you don't have to re-take like I (and many others) had to. Good luck!

5. DocWinter

DocWinter We're talking weed, people. 2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    3.0 in the sciences is the unofficial minimum. With DO retake I don't think you would have to take more than 2 classes to hit that mark (and bonus, increase your cGPA slightly)

6. milaya

milaya

Pre-Medical
    yes, I'd be taking gen chem again to get that A I need & want! I wasn't opposed to taking classes. I just fear that if I take on ~12 credits in the sciences, that it would interfere with my MCAT study schedule. I'm gonna retake chem for sure since I took it a while ago and I'm sure it will help with MCAT studying.. but would it make sense to retake gen chem 1 & 2 at the same time to even better prepare me, or does that sound illogical?

7. JDMcNugent

JDMcNugent 2+ Year Member

Medical Student (Accepted)
    I think a gen chem 1 re-take (preferably at a C.C.) and maybe one more science re-take while studying concurrently for the mcat will be fine. If you are not working or can fit in a few re-takes, mcat prep, and part time work then it can work out. You will more than likely see a lot of chem 1 topics like atomic structure, periodic trends, stoichiometry, etc. so why not knock out 2 birds with 1 stone by taking a couple of courses of stuff you have already seen (increase your sGPA) and prepping for the mcat? Everyone is different so I am not sure if this advice is for you but definitely set aside a solid 3-4 months of dedicated mcat prep.

DocWinter likes this.
  8. milaya

milaya

Pre-Medical
    thanks, I agree. looks like we'll have to see how I can handle it!

About the ads