Retake classes....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Arjuna

Wielder of the Brahmastra
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I finished up a semester as a freshie, and I didnt do so hot. Now I am considering registering for retakes as the school erases your previous grade. (I know AMCAS averages the two, but either way I should have a better GPA) I took ALL Sophomore/Junior level classes due to my insane AP credit. Ok so I know some of you might get pissed at this, but I didnt get anything lower than a B+ in my major courses. But I am considering retaking a B I got in an arts class and a B+ in Orgo. I am still pissed about that last one. I got it only because I freaked out on the final. Anyway, I am doing pretty well right now with even harder classes....so what do you guys recommend? I took 15+ credits of intense BCPM courses only.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
So I finished up a semester as a freshie, and I didnt do so hot. Now I am considering registering for retakes as the school erases your previous grade. (I know AMCAS averages the two, but either way I should have a better GPA) I took ALL Sophomore/Junior level classes due to my insane AP credit. Ok so I know som of you might get pissed at this, but I didnt get anything lower than a B+ in my major courses. But I am considering retaking a B I got in an arts class and a B+ in Orgo. I am still pissed about that last one. I got it only because I freaked out on the final. Anyway, I am doing pretty well right now with even harder classes....so what do you guys recommend?

If you didn't get anything lower than a B+, don't bother. Just do better in your future classes and chalk it up to youthful exuberance.:thumbup:

And since we're editing, throw in some non-science courses as well. Schools like well-rounded applicants, and that is one thing you can do to make your life less stressful.

Hi all, I am going to be repeating a couple credits soon, and I had a question: How does this get calculated in the AMCAS? Do they count both the credits and the quality points, or just the quality points; what do they average exactly? I am really confused about this-at my school they just replace the old grade with the new one up to the first couple credits, so I will have no impact of the older grade, but my counselor informed me that AMCAS averages the two; how exactly does it do this, and if it does, is it beneficial, or harmful? Thanks for all the replies!

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, AMCAS averages the grades of repeated classes. If you get a C and then an A, AMCAS sees that as a B. It's still beneficial, just not as much so as a simple grade replacement. If you have a very low grade in an important class, it's still a good plan to go for the repeat.

Yes, AMCAS averages the grades of repeated classes. If you get a C and then an A, AMCAS sees that as a B. It's still beneficial, just not as much so as a simple grade replacement. If you have a very low grade in an important class, it's still a good plan to go for the repeat.

What about a B+ and an A+? What would the average be for that? A?
ALSO, what about B and A+

10 characters 10 characters

Last edited:
No. A B+ is still "doing fine."

Unless you're trying to graduate early or doing a major that doesn't have a lot of overlap with the pre-med pre-reqs, I see no reason for summer classes. You could spend that time better doing research or getting some clinical experience.

No. A B+ is still "doing fine."

Unless you're trying to graduate early or doing a major that doesn't have a lot of overlap with the pre-med pre-reqs, I see no reason for summer classes. You could spend that time better doing research or getting some clinical experience.

Thanks for the advice. I am still doing both research and doing clinical stuff/shadowing/all that good stuff while taking these classes. Also, one more question; what happens when you retake the class? As in what does AMCAS do to the two grades? It does make your overall G.P.A better right? I just want to show that ADCOMS that I can get an A+ in the class. Thanks

Thanks for the advice. I am still doing both research and doing clinical stuff/shadowing/all that good stuff while taking these classes. Also, one more question; what happens when you retake the class? As in what does AMCAS do to the two grades? It does make your overall G.P.A better right? I just want to show that ADCOMS that I can get an A+ in the class. Thanks

I seriously doubt they're going to care. If anything they'll think your anal for retaking a class you got a B+ in

Most schools will not allow you to retake with that grade.

Regardless, take the grade and move on.

ya seriously just get an A+ on orgo II....which most people think is harder but i thought it was easier bc it was 10x more interesting

most people would be happy with a B+, i dont know why you need to show them you can make an A+, orgo is considered a difficult class. you should just try to do your best in ochem II and get an A+ in that

most people would be happy with a B+, i dont know why you need to show them you can make an A+, orgo is considered a difficult class. you should just try to do your best in ochem II and get an A+ in that

Yeah, don't retake it. Hey, by some tiny misfortune, you might make a grade lower than what you expected, or have no improvement at all. (Not saying that this would be the case, but this has happened to people. Ahem... me. :D Took waay too many classes, more than I could have handled in one semester. End result, not so good.)

A B+ is fine. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
ya seriously just get an A+ on orgo II....which most people think is harder but i thought it was easier bc it was 10x more interesting
i'm guessing OP has already taken ochemII and got the grade s/he wanted.

in that case, i'm not even sure you can repeat a class when you passed (>c-) both that class and the next course in sequence.

honestly OP, no one will care about your orgo grade. no one.

AMCAS will just average the two grades together. Since all your A+'s become A's, it'll be like you got an A-. Getting a B+ shows you mastered the material fine, without even pointing out that getting an A in O Chem 2 also shows you "could get an A"- in fact, better so than retaking, since by retaking you're just showing you can get an A if you take it twice. Your time could be better spent doing absolutely anything else.

i'm guessing OP has already taken ochemII and got the grade s/he wanted.

in that case, i'm not even sure you can repeat a class when you passed (>c-) both that class and the next course in sequence.

honestly OP, no one will care about your orgo grade. no one.
Thanks for the advice

Last edited:
AMCAS will just average the two grades together. Since all your A+'s become A's, it'll be like you got an A-. Getting a B+ shows you mastered the material fine, without even pointing out that getting an A in O Chem 2 also shows you "could get an A"- in fact, better so than retaking, since by retaking you're just showing you can get an A if you take it twice. Your time could be better spent doing absolutely anything else.

You make so much sense. I think that settles it-No chance of retaking Orgo now. Thanks for all the advice guys and gals. Goodnight.:sleep:

quick question. do you have to retake the classes AT the location you took it at to be a repeat?

quick question. do you have to retake the classes AT the location you took it at to be a repeat?

If you take the equivalent course at another university, no, it won't technically be a repeat. However, both grades will still be on your transcripts so there is really no benefit to you. All your grades will still be averaged.

AMCAS does not recognize A+s. The average for a B+ and A+ would essentially be an A-.

The average for a B and A would be a B+/A-, but in numerical form.

Wait - so if your school calculates an A- as a 3.7 and an A as a 4.0, you're saying AMCAS calculates an A- as a 4.0?

No - AMCAS will convert all grades to the B+/A-/A format with 3.3, 3.7 and 4.0 gpa format respectively. If your grades are already like that, then nothing will be changed.

Another question.

What if you take another version of the class you're replacing the grade with, does AMCAS recognize it as a retake?

I did poorly in engineering/math major calculus, and am now taking calculus for biosci majors. Although the university I'm at acknowledges this as a retake and will factor it into my GPA accordingly, after reading these posts... I'm not sure if AMCAS will as well.

Ay carumba.

I've got another question too:

I'm graduating soon, but did poorly in a few classes, and would like to retake them (at a community college, or via extension, next year). I understand the grade wouldn't be averaged, as the classes would technically not be same, but would that be a problem in my app, to say have two general chem 2's?

Another question.

What if you take another version of the class you're replacing the grade with, does AMCAS recognize it as a retake?

I did poorly in engineering/math major calculus, and am now taking calculus for biosci majors. Although the university I'm at acknowledges this as a retake and will factor it into my GPA accordingly, after reading these posts... I'm not sure if AMCAS will as well.

Ay carumba.

If the courses do not have the same course number, it's unlikely that AMCAS would consider them the same. When med schools get your grades, they'll just see that you took two calculus classes and consider the grades separately.

I've got another question too:

I'm graduating soon, but did poorly in a few classes, and would like to retake them (at a community college, or via extension, next year). I understand the grade wouldn't be averaged, as the classes would technically not be same, but would that be a problem in my app, to say have two general chem 2's?

No, it wouldn't be a problem to have two general chem 2's. What may be detrimental to your application is the fact that you plan on retaking the classes at at community college. CC classes are notoriously less rigorous than the equivalent courses at 4-year universities, so just be aware that med schools will know and recognize this.

I'd like to take it at a UC ( I'm currently at UCI), but it can be difficult to register for these pre-med classes.

If the courses do not have the same course number, it's unlikely that AMCAS would consider them the same. When med schools get your grades, they'll just see that you took two calculus classes and consider the grades separately.

The class will show up on my transcript with a flag that says I repeated, but do you know of a way I can check with AMCAS on this?

The class will show up on my transcript with a flag that says I repeated, but do you know of a way I can check with AMCAS on this?

So you're saying that you will only have one calculus class on your transcript and it'll say that you took it twice? Do these courses have different number designations (for example, MATH 101 vs. MATH 102)?

So you're saying that you will only have one calculus class on your transcript and it'll say that you took it twice? Do these courses have different number designations (for example, MATH 101 vs. MATH 102)?

I'll end up with my one year of calc, which will show up as three calc courses on my transcript, but the first part of the calc series I started was engineering calculus (they call it 21A over here), and I've got it ok'ed from my college that downgrading to calc for biosci (17A) will replace the first grade. Yeah, both course have different course numbers, but my college will recognize it as a retake, so hopefuly AMCAS will as well? :confused:

I'll end up with my one year of calc, which will show up as three calc courses on my transcript, but the first part of the calc series I started was engineering calculus (they call it 21A over here), and I've got it ok'ed from my college that downgrading to calc for biosci (17A) will replace the first grade. Yeah, both course have different course numbers, but my college will recognize it as a retake, so hopefuly AMCAS will as well? :confused:

Unfortunately, AMCAS will not replace any grades due to repeats, despite your college's policy. So regardless of whether you repeat calculus by taking the exact same course, or a similar course designed for different majors, AMCAS and medical schools will consider these grades collectively. The result is that when calculating your "calculus grade," you'll be left with the average of all the calculus classes you took. It's not ideal, but that's just the way it works.

No no no. AMCAS reports both attempts and their grades and uses both grades in their grade calculations (as if they were completely separate courses). This is NOT the same thing as averaging grades.

What your school does with the grades/GPA calculation is completely irrelevant. If the class is on your transcript with a grade attached, it will be counted.

No no no. AMCAS reports both attempts and their grades and uses both grades in their grade calculations (as if they were completely separate courses). This is NOT the same thing as averaging grades.

What your school does with the grades/GPA calculation is completely irrelevant. If the class is on your transcript with a grade attached, it will be counted.

You're saying the same thing that I am. When they calculate your GPA, they consider the courses separately and therefore the grades are averaged (just like if they were completely different courses). This is in contrast to what the OP's school does, which is throw out the lower grade and just factor in the best one.

I am not saying that they ignore both grades and instead give you a representative "average." What I am saying is this is what essentially happens if you take a class twice.

You're saying the same thing that I am. When they calculate your GPA, they consider the courses separately and therefore the grades are averaged (just like if they were completely different courses). This is in contrast to what the OP's school does, which is throw out the lower grade and just factor in the best one.

I am not saying that they ignore both grades and instead give you a representative "average." What I am saying is this is what essentially happens if you take a class twice.

No it's quite different.

Let's say, for the sake of argument you have 120 credit hours attempted with a 3.8 GPA in those hours (456 quality points).
Additionally, you took Metaphysics 101 a 4-hour class in which you got an F.
You re-took it and got an A.

AMCAS would then have 472QP / 128 hrs = 3.69
if you averaged them to a C and counted it as one class, that would be 464 / 124 = 3.74

No it's quite different.

Let's say, for the sake of argument you have 120 credit hours attempted with a 3.8 GPA in those hours (456 quality points).

if you averaged them to a C and counted it as one class, that would be 464 / 124 = 3.74

So essentially, what you're saying, is that retaking a class is the same as taking another course of equivalent credit hours? That means that there is no benefit to retaking a course-this does not make sense. That also means that you would only retake a course to show medical schools that you can in fact pull a decent grade in the course-am I right?

So essentially, what you're saying, is that retaking a class is the same as taking another course of equivalent credit hours? That means that there is no benefit to retaking a course-this does not make sense. That also means that you would only retake a course to show medical schools that you can in fact pull a decent grade in the course-am I right?

Correctamundo. AACOMAS is different, though.

y would you retake a B or a B+?......suck it up and move on

No it's quite different.

Again, we're saying the same thing. I 100% agree with your calculations. That's how they do it. Every time I've posted on this thread I've stated that they consider the courses separately. In my previous post I clarified that I was not suggesting that AMCAS combines the grades into a single "averaged grade" and then uses it (and only it) to calculate your GPA.

The "average grade" that I've been speaking about, is how med school's view the calculus grade. Taking your example, the OP's grade would not be the F he received the first time and it would not be the A he received on his subsequent attempt. No, med schools will see both grades and view that you essentially averaged out to have a C in calculus. This is in opposition to how the OP's school view it. They see the A replacing the F, and therefore in their eyes the OP earned an A.

So here's my math:

First attempt (F) + second attempt (A) = cumulative calculus grade (C)

My math for calculating the cumulative GPA is the same as yours because, again, as I've stated, they consider the courses separately.

Hope this clears things up.

OKAY I have to be really blunt with this question: Have you/anyone you know got into a competitive med school with a B+in either Organic Chemistry classes? I am currently considering dropping a second semester, as I am afraid of getting a B. I am aiming for my dream school, as naive as that may sound, but I dont want to shatter it just because of my poor performance on one test. Please advise. Thank you so much

Yup got B's in both OCHEM classes (we can't get B+'s)...and amazingly I got into my dream school...DO NOT DROP!!!! A W is much worse than a B!!!!!!

Lots of applicants have Bs in Orgo. You are not alone.

Last edited:
The answer is the same as when you asked this question a few weeks ago- no, you shouldn't drop a class you're heading for a B in.

Also, this is the wrong forum. Moving to pre-allo.

You can't just back away from any old bad situation--like the previous posters, work hard, don't take the W.

Now, the real reason I posted on this thread :smuggrin: It is not "orgo"!!!! Who in the world ever started that?? There's other threads about this, I know, but seriously people... Organic Chemistry=//////////=orgo!!! What's wrong with O-chem or organic?

I got a B and B+ in Ochem 1 and 2, respectively. Got accepted to top 30 med school.

And I did too...got a B the second semester. You will be fine!

I got a B in orgo I (and a few other BCPM classes as well) and got interviews at the three Top 5 schools I applied to (so far: accepted, waitlisted, and decision pending). Since the average GPA at even the most competitive schools is around a 3.8, and there are students being accepted with 4.0s, there are obviously students with more than a few Bs on their transcript being admitted to competitive medical schools. Do the best you can this semester, dust yourself off, and work on making a complete application instead of focusing on one or two grades.

The word ORGO is the visual equivalent of fingernails on a chalkboard

.. what med school do you know of with an average of 4.0 science gpa? lots of people get Bs or lower in bcpm/prereq classes.
(overall gpa>science gpa)>trends in grades>individual grades

and in terms of getting into dream schools: people have gotten into harvard with a C even..grades only matter up to a point.

The word ORGO is the visual equivalent of fingernails on a chalkboard

Hahaha, I hate it too. I think of that guy with the fro that walks up to the door in Old School and shruggs, "I'm here for the gang bang."

On second thought, that guy was awesome. The word ORGO is not.

Holy crap, I'd love it if I had gotten a B in ANY orgo class the first time around. Currently retaking the series, got an A in the first one.