Retake GRE or apply to schools with no minimums?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

gailmarie95

Full Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Okay so I have taken the GRE twice and my highest score is 143V/147Q/3.5AW. Since most schools want about 150 for both sections, should I retake the GRE again and aim for 150 or just hope for the best and apply to schools they do not have a minimum? The only school that requires a minimum in October is Miami and they said they accept scores after the deadline.
My overall GPA is a 3.4ish, prereq GPA is 3.4-3.5 (I know hight but not sure exactly by how much), 3 recommendations, and I will have 120-150 hours total from inpatient, outpatient, a pediatric clinic, and sports medicine clinic. I just know I would have to take my GRE in a few weeks and I'm not sure if it is enough to bump up my verbal by 7 points, and my math by 3 points to get 150. The second time I took my GRE I bump my verbal by 9 points, which is really the only part I studied for. Thoughts?
 
I think it would be tough to raise it another 7 points after already raising it 9. Especially in just 2 weeks. I'd probably look at schools that don't require the GRE. If the school requires it, but doesn't require a minimum, they will still likely use it as a comparison. Without it, they will have to focus on the rest of your application.