Retake: lower than Practices!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LaDoctorFutura

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just got my scores back from the April 2005 MCAT. I did HORRIBLY! I got a 24Q (7PS, 7V, 10BS). My Kaplan full lengths were 26, 26, and 29. So, I was expecting a bit higher. I was really hoping for a 30+. I have a 3.9 GPA and 3.9 BCPM with great ECs. So, i'm sending out my apps anyway. But, since I am planning on taking it again in August, can anyone let me know if 30 is too high to reach based on past practice MCATs. I believe 30+ is a reasonable goal based on my past scores (sans the real thing), but I don't get it. Most people go up from their highest practice or +/-1. I did -5. Could this just be fluke? Please! Any advise. I'm pumped for August, but at the same time, I feel stressed. Anyone else have similar experiences and it turned out amazingly well?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey, I was in the same boat as you. Last August, I was scoring 28s and 30s on the practice exams but got a 25 on the actual thing (I was wayyy too confident with no reason to be confident). This April, I went in humbled and somewhat confident and got a 31 (ironically what I got on my final practice test AAMC 8). So, to answer your question, yes it can happen and yes, a retake might help. Like the always helpful gujudoc said, get some practice materials and practice away for August. You will have to do minimal review since you took the exam in April. The topicals are helpful but DO NOT GET DISCOURAGED by them. They are meant to break your ego down (esp. the physics topicals) but they help. And if you haven't already get the AAMC exams, 7r and 8. Although not remotely like the actual MCAT, they are pretty accurate predictors.

thanks for the help. i really appreciate all the helpful tips. i'll definately employ them!