Retake 503?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hong Freak

Reaction score
I took an mcat on 7/15/23 and 1/18/24, and I got 503 both times.

I was planning to apply to this cycle however my score sucks. I don’t think I would take another gap year. Should I just risk it and apply? or go for 3rd retake?

My problem is the cars. I really don’t know if I could improved on it. I have try many tip and read/do many books and passage and it don’t work.

Members don't see this ad.

I couldn't improve CARS either... I ended up with a 124 on the real deal. My science section scores is what helped me get a good overall MCAT score. With a 503, I would apply to DO programs. If you plan to retake the exam, I can help with suggesting resources to improve your science scores.

See if you would qualify for FAP and that way you can apply to 20 schools for free and hope to get in somewhere. This way you don't lose money from applying this cycle if you don't want to retake the exam. I have a 516 MCAT score and alot of extracurricular, but I still don't have an acceptance so far. I am saying this to let you know that grades aren't everything. I am not a good writer/interview taker and that I believe is hurting me, also having an unbalanced score. Also, I am Asian and the average matriculant MCAT score is a 514 so that is also something you should consider to assess your competitiveness level. I hope this helps. Good luck!

Honestly I'd just go DO at this point. My understanding is that more than 2 attempts at the MCAT is pretty lethal to your app (Yo Goro or Lizzy or whoever, if you see this and I'm wrong, please correct me)

You'll be just as knowledgeable as me and get paid the same as I do in Family Medicine as a DO. I'm an MD student but unless you want to do ortho/derm nobody hecking cares.

And no offense but if you aren't a standardized test taking machine those specialties are out of reach anyway (I'm not either bro no judgement here)

Reactions: 1 user
I couldn't improve CARS either... I ended up with a 124 on the real deal. My science section scores is what helped me get a good overall MCAT score. With a 503, I would apply to DO programs. If you plan to retake the exam, I can help with suggesting resources to improve your science scores.

See if you would qualify for FAP and that way you can apply to 20 schools for free and hope to get in somewhere. This way you don't lose money from applying this cycle if you don't want to retake the exam. I have a 516 MCAT score and alot of extracurricular, but I still don't have an acceptance so far. I am saying this to let you know that grades aren't everything. I am not a good writer/interview taker and that I believe is hurting me, also having an unbalanced score. Also, I am Asian and the average matriculant MCAT score is a 514 so that is also something you should consider to assess your competitiveness level. I hope this helps. Good luck!
No way OP is getting into top 20 schools (sorry to be blunt, but I didn't have rich parents when I applied so I had to limit the number of schools/be reasonable)

@cantrelax, if you want me to read your PS, I'm happy to (unless you happen to be from a certain state in the SE, DM for details)

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, with that score OP is not going into top 20, but he/she still has a chance for a mid to low tier MD school, especially if OP has a strong story and strong extracurriculars. There are also many schools that have a 1 year masters program that will land a guaranteed MD spot, so if you don't want to retake the MCAT, try to see if you would qualify to be in one of those programs. This might mean applying to those schools and not getting the MD spot right away but qualifying to be on their program. And DO works too if you don't think you would want to do anything overly competitive, but I am sure more and more DO's will be competitive in the future.

I am with Hollow Knight on not retaking the MCAT third time unless you are sure you will score higher like 510+. I am a strong believer that anyone can get a 510+ if you study the right way, but if you want to apply anyway, I would utilize the Fee assistance program (FAP) that will allow you to apply to 20 schools for free.

No way OP is getting into top 20 schools (sorry to be blunt, but I didn't have rich parents when I applied so I had to limit the number of schools/be reasonable)

@cantrelax, if you want me to read your PS, I'm happy to (unless you happen to be from a certain state in the SE, DM for details)
I will DM you, thank you for the offer!

• Care
I'd say apply broadly, MD and DO. I had a similar mcat score, and have multiple acceptances, including a T20. Focus on what's still in your control like ECs, your story and applying early if you're dead set on not taking another gap year. Do your due diligence on schools, mission fits and if they have cut offs scores so you don't waste time or money. Good luck!

Def apply to your state MD schools, other mission fits, and a handful of osteopathic schools. You should get in somewhere.

Hey whoever is reading this, and @cantrelax, I did not mean to imply you shouldn't apply to in-state/friendly MD programs. Go ahead and shoot your shot, Just realize you probably won't get in there.

You'll get into a DO somewhere if the rest of your app is good

I'd say apply broadly, MD and DO. I had a similar mcat score, and have multiple acceptances, including a T20. Focus on what's still in your control like ECs, your story and applying early if you're dead set on not taking another gap year. Do your due diligence on schools, mission fits and if they have cut offs scores so you don't waste time or money. Good luck!
Sorry for the late response. What do you mean by “mission fit” like look at the school mission and see if it match with your application?

What do you mean by “mission fit” like look at the school mission and see if it match with your application?
Schools self-identify (just like people!): rural, urban, black, Puerto Rican, research, service, religious, in-state, leaders of medicine, engineering, military, social justice, high stats...
These are just a few of the ways schools define their mission. Because your stats alone do not align with most MD schools, you would need a strong mission fit to get an interview.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 1 users
I took an mcat on 7/15/23 and 1/18/24, and I got 503 both times.

I was planning to apply to this cycle however my score sucks. I don’t think I would take another gap year. Should I just risk it and apply? or go for 3rd retake?

My problem is the cars. I really don’t know if I could improved on it. I have try many tip and read/do many books and passage and it don’t work.
I think that you've plateaued and so it's not worth retaking the MCAT.

A 503 is circling the drain for MD schools.

Apply to DO and don't look back.

I thought about it. I might retake. Let me hear your suggestion. Also if I retake what score should I aim for. I don’t think I could get above 513 tho that what I am scare about

Members don't see this ad :)
Let say if I do plan to retake what score I would need to get.
For screening, many schools average scores. If an MD school rule of thumb wants 515 as a threshold (not that it works this way, but to humor this situation), then if you already have 2 scores of 503, you must score 539 to hit that 515 average.

Okay, being reasonable, for a 510 average, you have to score 524.

My usual suggestion is to score at least 10 points higher.

What's your mission fit?

Let say if I do plan to retake what score I would need to get.
For MD? 513+

Quoting the wise Homeskool: Taking the MCAT is like getting married: ideally you only do it once, and the more times you do it the worse you start looking to suitors with good judgment.

For screening, many schools average scores. If an MD school rule of thumb wants 515 as a threshold (not that it works this way, but to humor this situation), then if you already have 2 scores of 503, you must score 539 to hit that 515 average.

Okay, being reasonable, for a 510 average, you have to score 524.

My usual suggestion is to score at least 10 points higher.

What's your mission fit?

Well I want to go to orthopedics. But I am willing to adjust to the school mission fit.

Well I want to go to orthopedics. But I am willing to adjust to the school mission fit.
If you got accepted only to a rural primary care school, you would adjust, right?

This doesn't speak mission fit.

Would you be happy being an MA, PA, or NP specializing in ortho if you couldn't get into medical school?

If you got accepted only to a rural primary care school, you would adjust, right?

This doesn't speak mission fit.

Would you be happy being an MA, PA, or NP specializing in ortho if you couldn't get into medical school?

I got it. I didn’t understand what you mean by before. Yeah my mission fit is to be a doctor. Idc which one. I prefer orthopedic because I am a MA at ortho rn and I like what my doctor is doing.

If I can’t get in to any medical school. I’d probably retake the mcat and retry again next year.

I got it. I didn’t understand what you mean by before. Yeah my mission fit is to be a doctor. Idc which one. I prefer orthopedic because I am a MA at ortho rn and I like what my doctor is doing.

If I can’t get in to any medical school. I’d probably retake the mcat and retry again next year.
This still doesn't speak mission fit. Medical schools train future doctors and future PAs. You haven't done any shadowing or working outside ortho? You have to go through all the specialties, and ortho is historically highly competitive, requiring high STEP scores.

You could be a DPT if you like longer relationships with patients. Or a PTA or Athletic Trainer if you want to focus on it.

This still doesn't speak mission fit. Medical schools train future doctors and future PAs. You haven't done any shadowing or working outside ortho? You have to go through all the specialties, and ortho is historically highly competitive, requiring high STEP scores.

You could be a DPT if you like longer relationships with patients. Or a PTA or Athletic Trainer if you want to focus on it.
Well idk what you mean by mission fit. I have done a couple shadowing outside of ortho. I shadowed Primary, Pain management, Podiatrist, Ortho, General Surgeon.

Read
Ok I just read it. Both interest me but I like schools that are research focus more. However, I was born in city where the nearest hospital is an 1 hour away, so community-focus school better align with my background because I could talk about it more in my personal statement.

Last edited:
Ok I just read it. Both interest me but I like schools that are research focus more. However, I was born in city where the nearest hospital is an 1 hour away, so community-focus school better align with my background because I could talk about it more in my personal statement.
Your WAMC