Retake MCAT vs. Month service trip/Medical Research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

levelPhilosophy

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm looking for some advice on how I should spend my next couple of months to make myself more competitive for this upcoming cycle. I'm taking the MCAT this Saturday, and am anticipating a score in the 504-508 range. I haven't studied as much as I'd like for it, so I'm trying to decide if I should already plan to retake it in July. Right now, I have a volunteer trip to Latin America planned for May, and then I have the opportunity to come back and work for a hospital shadowing/doing research in June and July. However, I'm not quite sure if I should quit either or both opportunities in order to retake the MCAT, or improve my application in some other way.

cGPA: 3.67 (3.03 freshmen year, 3.9+ sophomore year, 3.9+ junior year)
sGPA: 3.58
MCAT: anticipate 504-508
Volunteering:
- 80+ hours on a service trip to the Dominican Republic
- 45 hours through my fraternity and other clubs
Research:
- 2.5 years nonclinical research with 2 poster presentations/departmental honors so far
- 300 hours clinical research through a summer internship
Shadowing:
- 80 hours

I've also held some leadership positions in my fraternity and other clubs. What should I focus on to improve my application this summer?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If you don't feel ready to take the MCAT...DON'T. It is much better to wait and take it when you are at your best than to plan on a retake. Don't plan on a re-study. Plan on delaying your test and taking that time to do a better job of studying for it.

It is quite possible many med schools will view your service trip as voluntourism, so it likely won't be that helpful to your application.

Reactions: 2 users
For the MCAT you want to be "one and done" - take it when you are ready, not because you're under a time constraint to do so. Note that the MCAT average scores for the matriculating student is rising each year, so a 504-508 would hardly be viable for MD, but okay (for now) for DO schools.

I agree with the above poster in that your service trip will be considered medical voluntourism, and though you'd be doing research, I doubt 1-2 months of dedicated research would help your application more than 1-2 months of additional dedicated MCAT study time.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys,

I'm looking for some advice on how I should spend my next couple of months to make myself more competitive for this upcoming cycle. I'm taking the MCAT this Saturday, and am anticipating a score in the 504-508 range. I haven't studied as much as I'd like for it, so I'm trying to decide if I should already plan to retake it in July. Right now, I have a volunteer trip to Latin America planned for May, and then I have the opportunity to come back and work for a hospital shadowing/doing research in June and July. However, I'm not quite sure if I should quit either or both opportunities in order to retake the MCAT, or improve my application in some other way.

cGPA: 3.67 (3.03 freshmen year, 3.9+ sophomore year, 3.9+ junior year)
sGPA: 3.58
MCAT: anticipate 504-508
Volunteering:
- 80+ hours on a service trip to the Dominican Republic
- 45 hours through my fraternity and other clubs
Research:
- 2.5 years nonclinical research with 2 poster presentations/departmental honors so far
- 300 hours clinical research through a summer internship
Shadowing:
- 80 hours

I've also held some leadership positions in my fraternity and other clubs. What should I focus on to improve my application this summer?
Under no circumstances are you to take the MCAT if you are considering a score that low. Unless you were okay with going to do schools

Reactions: 2 users
Under no circumstances are you to take the MCAT if you are considering a score that low. Unless you were okay with going to do schools

Okay, looks like my best option is to cancel the trip, and dedicate May and June to studying for the MCAT. In addition to that, what else could I do to during those months to improve my application? I feel like both my shadowing and volunteering could use extra hours, but I'm not sure which is more important/lacking at this point?

Reactions: 1 user
Okay, looks like my best option is to cancel the trip, and dedicate May and June to studying for the MCAT. In addition to that, what else could I do to during those months to improve my application? I feel like both my shadowing and volunteering could use extra hours, but I'm not sure which is more important/lacking at this point?
Your shadowing is fine. You need clinical exposure IN THIS COUNTRY. Your overseas mission will be viewed as medical tourism.

But right now, focus on MCAT.

Reactions: 3 users
Totally agree with this thread. The MCAT i have noticed used as a screening tool for secondaries and for eligibility for scholarships post acceptance so take it when you feel that you can crush it. Best of luck!!

If you do make it overseas, FYI to be careful when describing things. Don’t do anything you aren’t allowed to here, and certainly don’t write about it with all the details if you do.

Cancel the volunteer trip to South America since it adds nothing to your application. You need 200+ clinical volunteering hours in this country. Post your MCAT score here when available and we can advise you on schools.