Retake question! Please help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RainyDaysKTCA

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am kicking myself. I am such a *****! The first time I took Gen Chem 2 I got a C+, not great so I decided to do a retake this summer.

I was doing well with B+/A- grades and then yesterday for exam 3 (out of 4) my cellphone went off in the middle of the exam! My teacher is such a huge stickler for no cellphones in class (I was so sure I turned it off, stupid thing turned itself on because of an alarm that was set on it :( ). I got my test taken away and an F (yes that is right. An F. For the course).

I tried talking to him today and he won't budge. I told him about the alarm setting and he told me that I should know how to use my own phone or leave it at home/in the car (I know I should have been more careful with the stupid phone, but its never EVER gone off before!). He told me he'd think about it but the very least he would give me a 0 for the test. (which means to get a C I would need a 100% on the final test.

So since the best I can get is a C, and my previous score was a C+ can I use the first grade instead of the second? I don't think I can take this class again (definitely not at this university) and I can't withdraw with a "W" only an "F" this late in the semester.

And how do I explain this lower retake grade to medschools?

(If it helps- my current prereq scores after retakes etc: Chem 1/Lab: A/A, Chem 2/Lab: C+/A, Organic 1/lab: B-/A, Organic 2/lab: B-/A, Physics 1/lab: B+/A, Bio 1/lab: B+/A, Bio2/Lab: A/A.
:( Please help.

Members don't see this ad.

wow, thats horrible, I would appeal to the university, you clearly weren't cheating, so an F is not warranted. I would fight this...

Wow, I don't even know what to say. That situation is horrible.

I guess if I had known a class had a policy like that, my cell phone wouldn't have come within 100ft of that classroom, even if it was off, the battery was removed, or I had smashed it with a hammer beforehand.

I think your only option now if the prof won't budge is to appeal to someone higher up. It seems a bit harsh to me. Although I have to admit I've never heard of an alarm setting that could turn a phone on. But my phone is old so maybe someone with newer technology is more familiar with that.

Members don't see this ad :)
Your options are appeal to the university or withdraw from the course. The W will still look better than an F in a retake. Good luck.

I think he/she is already past the date to withdraw with a W.

:laugh: Oops didn't get that far. Some schools will allow you to petition to retro-actively drop under certain circumstances. I would definitely both appeal his F grade as well as ask if they will not overturn his policy to withdraw retroactively. Its worth a shot right?

You are going to have a difficult time explaining this grade to med schools to be completely honest. However, the best you can do would be to explain the exact situation to them and be honest about it.

Wow, I don't even know what to say. That situation is horrible.

I guess if I had known a class had a policy like that, my cell phone wouldn't have come within 100ft of that classroom, even if it was off, the battery was removed, or I had smashed it with a hammer beforehand.

I think your only option now if the prof won't budge is to appeal to someone higher up. It seems a bit harsh to me. Although I have to admit I've never heard of an alarm setting that could turn a phone on. But my phone is old so maybe someone with newer technology is more familiar with that.

I have an Envi2, and even if the phone is OFF, the alarm will go off (vibrating, ringing, etc). So some of the newer phones /do/ have that (very unwanted) feature.

Try explaining the situation again to the prof. And then if that still fails, appeal nicely to someone higher. What a jerk.

I have an Envi2, and even if the phone is OFF, the alarm will go off (vibrating, ringing, etc). So some of the newer phones /do/ have that (very unwanted) feature.

That would be a very annoying feature. Maybe I won't upgrade my ancient phone. ;)

I hope it all works out for you OP. The situation seems very unfair to me. I can see an F for the course for cheating, but for a cell phone ringing?:confused: I understand that cell phones in class are annoying for professors, but the punishment is way too harsh. I could understand a grade reduction on the test or even the course.

Hey OP, I worked in an academic integrity office all last year (yes, one of the most random ECs) and we see stuff like this all the time.
While I don't agree with the professor's method/ attitude- unfortunately, the professor makes the call on whether or not this is "cheating". Bottom line: it's his classroom and he has already expressed the no cell phone policy. If it escalates to the point where he reports it, you have the right to appeal and fight it. I would definitely appeal because you'll get an "academic misconduct" mark on your record and that is VERY HARD to explain to grad/ professional schools.
Ethically and professionally, he's SUPPOSED to report it. Professors can't just dole out their own definition of justice- it's unfair because then you can't fight it. Without getting too political/ going too far into it... you have rights as a student; one of which is the right to defend yourself and have your story heard.

My advice would be to seek him out again and if it doesn't work out, maybe you should think about contacting your academic integrity office (if your campus has one) and seeing what your options are.

Best of luck!!! I hope your professor has a change of heart and things work out for you.:xf:

Last edited:
That would be a very annoying feature. Maybe I won't upgrade my ancient phone. ;)

I hope it all works out for you OP. The situation seems very unfair to me. I can see an F for the course for cheating, but for a cell phone ringing?:confused: I understand that cell phones in class are annoying for professors, but the punishment is way too harsh. I could understand a grade reduction on the test or even the course.

It pretty much is - I'm careful about checking my calender and I turn my phone to silent before turning it off. Unfortunately, if there was something going off, it would still vibrate. So I try and make sure that there's nothing on my calender for the day. :laugh:

Pg 13 of the AACOMAS manual

GPA and Credit Hour Computations
AACOMAS will calculate your GPA and credit hours according to the following rules: GPAs and credit hours will be calculated for Science, Non-Science and All Coursework. Science GPAs include Biology/Zoology, Biochemistry, Inorganic Chemistry, Organic Chemistry, Other Science, and Physics. Non-science GPAs include Behavioral Science, English, Math, and Other Non-science. Courses with AACOMAS grades of Pass, Non-pass, and Advanced Placement are not included in GPA calculations. Only the last instance of a repeated course is included in the GPA calculation.

UpwardTrend, only the last instance is counted but you designate the last instance. Also, the problem is the fact its going to be a retake with a lower grade

Sounds like your professor is a real winner. Life must be miserable. Anyways, check your syllabus to make sure your case is listed as one of the infractions that will warrant an 'F'. Also, I think you need to talk to the chair of the chemistry department. Don't sweat this too much. People have come back from worse cases. Good luck!

UpwardTrend, only the last instance is counted but you designate the last instance. Also, the problem is the fact its going to be a retake with a lower grade

What I got out of the sentence in the AACOMAS manual was that you have to take the latest grade even if it is lower. I'll be happy if it doesn't work out like that since I have a similar situation. Back when I was a "bad" student I got a D one semester and an F on the retake the next semester. That was during my DownwardTrend:eek: From what I understand the F will go into the gpa and not the D.