Retake the MCAT or Apply Broadly

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hopefulgirl123

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took the MCAT twice (can't believe I am considering taking again) and scored a 503/505 and have 3.8+ GPA. I am wondering what the best option is: retake and aim for 90th percentile and apply a little late or apply broadly on June 1st? SES disadvantaged, non URM, and interesting life story and good ECs.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

What strategies have you used in the past? What makes you confident that you can bump your score (I am assuming that you would want it to be in the 5-teens) by 10 points? Just curious, because that is a big jump. Not impossible, but a big hurdle.

Are you against applying DO? I am sure you would have no issues there-- maybe even your state MD school if you live in a "lucky" state.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I live in IL. I did apply DO to 3 schools and am WL at all 3. I am concerned I won't get off those WL so I want to plan ahead.

I am considering hiring a private tutor this time around. I do have test anxiety and scores lower than my practice but am hoping to overcome that if I take again.

Chances are you will receive an acceptance from one of those DO schools. If not I suggest these MD schools if you reapply:
Illinois
Rosalind Franklin
Rush
Loyola
Medical College Wisconsin
St. Louis
Creighton
Oakland Beaumont
Vermont
Quinnipiac
New York Medical College
Penn State
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Seton Hall
George Washington
NOVA MD
Also apply broadly to at least 8 DO schools.

Chances are you will receive an acceptance from one of those DO schools. If not I suggest these MD schools if you reapply:
Illinois
Rosalind Franklin
Rush
Loyola
Medical College Wisconsin
St. Louis
Creighton
Oakland Beaumont
Vermont
Quinnipiac
New York Medical College
Penn State
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Seton Hall
George Washington
NOVA MD
Also apply broadly to at least 8 DO schools.

Would you suggest applying June 1st if I haven't heard by then and no mcat retake?

Would you suggest applying June 1st if I haven't heard by then and no mcat retake?
Also if I am applying to these schools for the first time do I need to rewrite my personal statement? I felt it probably landed me interviews