Retake the MCAT???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

I've heard it's highly "frowned upon" to take the MCAT more than 3 times... is this true?? Has anyone taken it more than 3 times and been successful (higher score, gained admission, etc.)?

This is my second time applying to medschool -- it took me 3 tries to get my 27R but there was improvement each time and I feel I can do better. If I do re-take, obviously it will be for the next cycle and my third (and final) try at medical school. I'm just starting to freak out a little bit because I haven't gotten any interview invites from anywhere outside of my state schools and based off last year's nightmare I know I can most likely expect a slew of rejection letters this spring :(

Comments/suggestions greatly appreciated, thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I've heard it's highly "frowned upon" to take the MCAT more than 3 times... is this true?? Has anyone taken it more than 3 times and been successful (higher score, gained admission, etc.)?

This is my second time applying to medschool -- it took me 3 tries to get my 27R but there was improvement each time and I feel I can do better. If I do re-take, obviously it will be for the next cycle and my third (and final) try at medical school. I'm just starting to freak out a little bit because I haven't gotten any interview invites from anywhere outside of my state schools and based off last year's nightmare I know I can most likely expect a slew of rejection letters this spring :(

Comments/suggestions greatly appreciated, thanks!

Why only the 2 DO schools on your MDapps? Most of them have an MCAT range that'll be much more inviting to your 27 than many of the MD schools on your list.

Hi, Chocolate Bear. For D.O., so far only the 2 schools that are in AZ I guess you can say that is like "putting all my eggs in one basket" but for financial and family reasons my preference is to stay in-state. The list may grow after I've done more research and shadowing within the profession. Very helpful links in your signature, btw. I emailed over 20 D.O.'s for the shadowing so hopefully someone will respond :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi, Chocolate Bear. For D.O., so far only the 2 schools that are in AZ I guess you can say that is like "putting all my eggs in one basket" but for financial and family reasons my preference is to stay in-state. The list may grow after I've done more research and shadowing within the profession. Very helpful links in your signature, btw. I emailed over 20 D.O.'s for the shadowing so hopefully someone will respond :)

Glad to hear you're trying to get some exposure. In the meantime, I'd definitely add some DO schools, if possible. I see that you have a lot of MD schools outside of AZ, so if I were you, I'd add some OOS DO schools ASAP. :thumbup:

I definitely think you have a shot at DO. Maybe an outside chance at MD.

As far as the MCAT goes, sure schools would like to see no more than a couple of attempts and a good score. However, that may not always be the case. A good MCAT score 30+ is still a good MCAT score regardless of how many times you have taken it. I rather try to explain why I did bad a few times than never have anything to bargain with.

First attempt, I was not prepared enough. My computer acted up on me when I was really prepared when I got my 27 and I know I could have done better if it was not for that. Retake and prove that computer messed you up and took your 30+. Get my drift....

The only thing you can not get around is the score on the paper. Circumstances can be explained some to benefit you. It's all about the spin!!

Good luck!!

say you retake and get a 30.
Perhaps the school will not see it exactly the same as someone who got a 30 the first try, but it's still a 30.
I know of no hard and fast rule that says 3 tries is the limit. A few on the admissions committee may even respect that you kept hammering away at this process...
If you think you can do better, and unlikely to do worse, then I would retry. If not, then go with what you have.

Agree with the above post that if you really want to be a doc then you need to consider more DO schools, or at least consider it. Also, try the MD schools that take out of state folks and accept those with high 20's MCAT scores...should be easy to find out which ones those are. Don't waste time applying to places with average GPA's and MCAT scores that are higher than yours. The med school admissions process is somewhat of a game but at the end you'll get the education and a residency if you can just get in the door.

say you retake and get a 30.
Perhaps the school will not see it exactly the same as someone who got a 30 the first try, but it's still a 30.
I know of no hard and fast rule that says 3 tries is the limit. A few on the admissions committee may even respect that you kept hammering away at this process...
If you think you can do better, and unlikely to do worse, then I would retry. If not, then go with what you have.

Agree with the above post that if you really want to be a doc then you need to consider more DO schools, or at least consider it. Also, try the MD schools that take out of state folks and accept those with high 20's MCAT scores...should be easy to find out which ones those are. Don't waste time applying to places with average GPA's and MCAT scores that are higher than yours. The med school admissions process is somewhat of a game but at the end you'll get the education and a residency if you can just get in the door.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

For the record, I know someone who took the MCAT FIVE times and applied five times before he was admitted. He graduated in the top 10% of his class and is currently doing an ortho residency. Three times is definitely not the limit. Good luck!

With respect to elevating scores through multiple sittings of the MCAT, the AAMC reports the probability to be low. Nevertheless, the task is not impossible. In fact, several consecutive sittings of the test may favor improvement, since the bulk of the material and the strategy necessary to tackle the questions does not vary intensely. Essentially, the Verbal Reasoning requires the same attention and detail while the Physical and Biological Science sections will draw questions from the same themes as seen in previous tests.

One important consideration, though, is the acceptance of osteopathic or possibly even foreign education. As said previously, revisiting options will clarify the magnitude of a desire for a medical education. A D.O. and a foreign M.D. will establish the right to see patients as well as an allopathic degree from an stateside school.

A more potent, yet relevant, concern toward retaking the MCAT is the notion of losing time and resources for a coveted score. By attaining a 39 MCAT alone, admission to any one school is not guaranteed by that single criterion, despite the favorable reception thereof by some committees that will grant the highest score. Others may take a composite score. Nevertheless, even an admission to a stateside allopathic program after maybe months or even years in pursuit of a score (I am merely setting forth a hypothetical) will not compensate for the time lost or money spent on transitioning oneself into that position. The time is lost and cannot be regained to repeat prior ambitions. This notion is valuable to contemplate because a medical career inflicts physical rigor upon the student, resident and fellow that is more easily met by somebody in his or her late twenties versus late thirties.

Hence, no prolific solution resolves this conundrum. The key toward resolving this problem is to gauge one's risk aversion profile and hold no expectations. If one is willing to take the risk of spending time and resources for the purpose of a higher score, then one must be willing to lose the time and even money only to realize that the endeavor is void of any fixed outcome. Conversely, if one is prepared to go to the Caribbean or DO school, then one must be willing to surrender the ambition to attend a stateside allopathic school. Each has risks.

Since no assurances prevail, risks must be taken. I will say that people have taken the MCAT multiple times before and witnessed an increase in their scores to enable an admission to allopathic programs. These same individuals did well on boards and in surgical residency and fellowship. These same chaps also said it was not easy, yet nothing worthwhile ever is. Remember, though, that retaking the test will not please everybody, thus forcing diversification of applications.

If one really has the passion, then retake the test but do not hold expectations on the forward result. Expectations will suppress the momentum of progress or even intimidate the acceleration of studies. :thumbup:
:luck:

Hey - a point or two that I'd not seen above --

1) the answer (3+ times bad?) is likely school specific; some schools will see it more favorably than others. Given there's no absolute prohibition on 3+ sittings, at least some schools will see more exams taken (presuming an upward trend) as a positive thing.

by the way, how could one "retake the test without holding expectations on the forward result", i.e. intend to score higher? If I didn't intend to score higher on a retake, I'd not spend the time or money sitting for it. My expectations to score higher would FURTHER my momentum of progress rather than suppress them. But that's just me; to each his (or her) own.

2) there are a few schools - George Washington I remember, I think one of the Wisconsin schools, that use a "synthetic" mcat score; i.e. they use the highest score earned from each section and "build" an mcat based on those individual section scores. Statistically, there's a fairly good chance of earning different scores on sections after sitting multiple times, so schools that do this would favor applicants who sit for the MCAT multiple times.

i've heard it's highly "frowned upon" to take the mcat more than 3 times... Is this true?? Has anyone taken it more than 3 times and been successful (higher score, gained admission, etc.)?

This is my second time applying to medschool -- it took me 3 tries to get my 27r but there was improvement each time and i feel i can do better. If i do re-take, obviously it will be for the next cycle and my third (and final) try at medical school. I'm just starting to freak out a little bit because i haven't gotten any interview invites from anywhere outside of my state schools and based off last year's nightmare i know i can most likely expect a slew of rejection letters this spring :(

comments/suggestions greatly appreciated, thanks!

epic fail