Retake the MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Alpha Akiik

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all- first time using this and I was hoping to get feedback. I am applying next round, but am wondering if I should retake the MCAT.

I got a 31 M (11 Verbal, 10BS, 10PS). GPA is 3.6 overall probably 3.4 science. I have good experience I feel: currently I am on a year long public health fellowship working in a refugee settlement (and will be doing similar work next year), I worked as a medical Scribe in an emergency room for 2 years, I volunteered in a free medical clinic for a year, have been a live-in care giver, an undergraduate TA for Anatomy for a year, etc. etc.

Any thoughts? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Do not retake unless 1) you really did not study well or 2) for whatever reason you're dead set on a top tier. Even then retaking is risky.

Hey all- first time using this and I was hoping to get feedback. I am applying next round, but am wondering if I should retake the MCAT.

I got a 31 M (11 Verbal, 10BS, 10PS). GPA is 3.6 overall probably 3.4 science. I have good experience I feel: currently I am on a year long public health fellowship working in a refugee settlement (and will be doing similar work next year), I worked as a medical Scribe in an emergency room for 2 years, I volunteered in a free medical clinic for a year, have been a live-in care giver, an undergraduate TA for Anatomy for a year, etc. etc.

Any thoughts? Thanks!
I was recently counselling a student who re-took her 31 MCAT and got a 28 on her second try. She has gotten no interviews so far.

With a sound strategy you can have an admission in your hand by this time next year.

There is no good explanation for retaking a good score.

Members don't see this ad :)
Your MCAT is fine and doesn't need to be retaken. Instead, work on raising your undergrad BCPM GPA by getting As in additional upper-level Bio and Biochem, demonstrating a consistent upward grade trend for a year before you apply.

Thank you for the advice. I graduated over a year ago and have taken most of the upper-level bio possible (I also took extra classes at community college after graduating). So I am not sure there can be much improvement in my GPA as I am currently working in a remote area with little access to additional courses. This is sound advice, though!

Thanks! This is one of my worries. Also I am not sure how schools look at the two scores now that the 2013 test does not have the essay?

Strongly concur with the moose. You're fine for all of the low-mid tier schools, and maybe your state school, depending upon where you live. You're fine for any DO school too.

Do NOT apply to out-of-state public schools, though, except perhaps those neighboring your home state.

Do not retake unless 1) you really did not study well or 2) for whatever reason you're dead set on a top tier. Even then retaking is risky.