Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

retaken class

Discussion in 'What Are My Chances?' started by littlegreen88, Jan 1, 2009.

1. littlegreen88

7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I am a biology sophmore student, and I currently have a 3.58 GPA,
    I retook gen. chem I , first I recieved a D but changed it to an A-. I got an A- in gen chem II.
    I'm concerned that the retake is going to play a major role in my admission to medical school. I would just like to hear some imput.
    thanks so much!!

2. Mobius1985

10+ Year Member

Nah, you've completely redeemed yourself by repeating and getting an A-, and further, by doing well in the next course in the sequence as well. A lot of freshman have trouble the first year while they figure out how to study effectively without being distracted by adjusting to a new environment. A GPA of 3.58 is pretty good, considering the D is included. You'll be fine if you keep up the good work you've been doing recently.

3. OP
    OP
    littlegreen88

7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    At the school I go to there is a forgivness policy so the D is not counted in the GPA. Thus my GPa would be lower. :(

4. ChemEngMD

ChemEngMD No need to hide behind private profiles
    10+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student

When the AMCAS calculates your GPA (which is all that matters to medical schools) it will include your re-taken classes. I personally re-took both Physics I and Organic Chemistry II and I'm not super concerned about it as I did well in higher level Physics and Chemistry classes. If you do well in higher level classes it shows the Adcom that you can handle it.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Mobius1985

10+ Year Member

Why not refigure your GPA, including the D and the retaken grade of A-, so you have a better idea of how much redemption you need, A wise). With three semesters behind you, and three left to go before the traditional application time, I feel you still have a great chance of getting back into a competitive range considering you've figured out how to produce good grades.

Here is an AMCAS GPA calculator that might help if you don't want to do the math yourself: http://medschool.ucsf.edu/postbac/pdf/AMCAS%20GPA_Calculator%20Version%204%20Final.xls

Let us know what you come up with.