This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Flamingo123

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
How does the AAMC calculate gpa if I retake a class. I couldnt find a lot of info online.
I wanted to retake gen chem (I got a B-) but I want to graduate and retake it in another college. My college has horrible chemistry teachers and people fail or do really poorly. Does it make a difference if I take it at another college? Will the AAMC count it as a replacement class or just an additional class?
What is your opinion folks?
 
As far as I'm aware, retaking a class just adds another class to your transcript and another grade to your GPA.

So if you took chemistry, physics, and then chemistry again, and got a C, A, and B+, your gpa would be (2+4+3.3) / 3 = 3.1 as determined by AAMC (hopefully my basic arithmetic doesn't embarrass me here...)