Retaking a class

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hypnix

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If I retake a class at a CC instead of the University I graduated from, would it do me any good? I got a B in Microbiology and I know I can do better. I just submitted my AMCAS so I am not looking to boost my GPA, but want to show adcoms that I can do better and that I am active in my pursuit in getting into med school.

Members don't see this ad.

There is no reason to retake a B. Of course you can do better; now you've had the material before. It's a waste of time, especially if you are doing it at a CC and aren't looking to improve your GPA. There are other things you can do to show you are active in your pursuit of getting accepted into medical school. I wouldn't suggest retaking anything >C-.

There is no reason to retake a B. Of course you can do better; now you've had the material before. It's a waste of time, especially if you are doing it at a CC and aren't looking to improve your GPA. There are other things you can do to show you are active in your pursuit of getting accepted into medical school. I wouldn't suggest retaking anything >C-.

So, take something I haven't taken yet? It's a CC and there aren't many Bio classes. There is food microbiology. Should I take that? I got a C, my lowest grade in Gen Chem I my first semester.

So, take something I haven't taken yet? It's a CC and there aren't many Bio classes. There is food microbiology. Should I take that? I got a C, my lowest grade in Gen Chem I my first semester.

If you really want to take a course, maybe go with the food micro. It won't be repeat micro again but shows that you can do well in an upper-level micro course. Although I still don't think a B is "doing poorly.":) And as for the Chem, you've probably had Gen Chem 2 and the organic sequence so you've already taken more advanced chemistry.