Retaking AAMC exams, how inflated should I except my scores to be?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UnanimousUnity

Reaction score
Hi SDN,
I'm retaking the AAMC FLs since I'm retaking my MCAT on the 27th of May.

I scored 509 (127,127,127,128)on FL1 two months ago, and when I took it recently, I got a 517 (129,129,130,129).

I don't know if this is because my score is very inflated or because I have genuinely improved, and should feel more comfortable during my retake in scoring near a 514.

Let me know if you have similar experiences and what ended up happening!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
AAMC FL's exams were not inflated for me. I scored about the same as my actual score.

Have you retaken your other AAMC FL's yet? Do you see similar improvement?

I can't say that your increase shows your "true" improvement since we don't know where you have had trouble. But most people claim they didn't do well the first time due to lack of exposure to the material or they aren't comfortable with the tests. Only your feedback from the tests can give you a suggested answer. If you felt more comfortable after your re-take of the AAMC FL test, figure out whether that's because you did fewer coin flips or improved in your time to complete the exam.

Members don't see this ad :)
Have you retaken your other AAMC FL's yet? Do you see similar improvement?

I can't say that your increase shows your "true" improvement since we don't know where you have had trouble. But most people claim they didn't do well the first time due to lack of exposure to the material or they aren't comfortable with the tests. Only your feedback from the tests can give you a suggested answer. If you felt more comfortable after your re-take of the AAMC FL test, figure out whether that's because you did fewer coin flips or improved in your time to complete the exam.
I think most of my improvement was because I had reviewed this exam 2 months ago and studied everything I didn't know that was on it. So there were very few concepts I didn't know about. I also kind of remembered the general passages in CARS, etc. so it helped me with timing. I knew my score would be inflated. So I expected it to be around 512-514 with the inflation but I ended up getting a 517.

I think the best way to go about this is to take 1 third-party FL and see how my score looks.

I think most of my improvement was because I had reviewed this exam 2 months ago and studied everything I didn't know that was on it. So there were very few concepts I didn't know about. I also kind of remembered the general passages in CARS, etc. so it helped me with timing. I knew my score would be inflated. So I expected it to be around 512-514 with the inflation but I ended up getting a 517.

I think the best way to go about this is to take 1 third-party FL and see how my score looks.
That's good, but then I have to ask you... why didn't you get a perfect score on your retake? What explains your mistakes when you took it a second time? If you were familiar with everything the first time, then I would expect you to do better the next time, but did you still make mistakes on the same questions? It's part of the process I helped with back in the old days with test prep.

The first time I took the AAMCL FLs, I got basically the average of all my scores on the real thing (FL1: 505, FL2 501, FL3 505, FL4: 509, Sample approx: 512, real: 505) For my retake, I retook two of the AAMC FLs, and I was assuming a score inflation because I remembered some of the questions when taking the test. I got a 519 on the two that I retook, but then ended up getting a 516 on the real thing! I think it was honestly a real confidence builder to retake AAMC FLs, plus it was good to practice as real conditions as possible before the retake. Build your confidence, study with purpose on your weak areas, and you'll do great!

That's good, but then I have to ask you... why didn't you get a perfect score on your retake? What explains your mistakes when you took it a second time? If you were familiar with everything the first time, then I would expect you to do better the next time, but did you still make mistakes on the same questions? It's part of the process I helped with back in the old days with test prep.
I had forgotten some concepts in Chemistry and psychology that I noted down during the exam.

I'm gonna go back and review every question today to see what I missed. I see your point. I think a focused content review with Section bank practice should get me closer to a 516-518. With the rest of my application which you have commented in the WAMC thread, I think I'll have a fair chance.

Reactions: 1 user
The first time I took the AAMCL FLs, I got basically the average of all my scores on the real thing (FL1: 505, FL2 501, FL3 505, FL4: 509, Sample approx: 512, real: 505) For my retake, I retook two of the AAMC FLs, and I was assuming a score inflation because I remembered some of the questions when taking the test. I got a 519 on the two that I retook, but then ended up getting a 516 on the real thing! I think it was honestly a real confidence builder to retake AAMC FLs, plus it was good to practice as real conditions as possible before the retake. Build your confidence, study with purpose on your weak areas, and you'll do great!
That's definitely great to hear!
What did you do during your retake? Just questions or content review as well?

I just retook the exams under exam conditions and then just reviewed the questions I got wrong! I also really focused on CARS which was the reason I had to retake... lol. I did a full length CARS passage every day before I started studying, then I focused on WWorld questions and the AAMC SB questions. for practice I always did 59 questions in a row and then reviewed any I was unsure of. Just don't stress too much, make sure your mindset is good going into the test. That was one of my big mistakes going into the first one! Its not quantity of studying, its quality. Best of luck!

Reactions: 1 users
I took the AAMC FL test and never got higher than a 508, then the next time I took them a year later I averaged a 516. Then I got a 516 on the real think.
Sure I might have remembered accouple questions 1 year later. But I performed better on the tests because my base knowledge and test taking skills got better.
So If you are performing well trust the process and kill it on test day.

Reactions: 1 users
I scored about 7 points lower than my FL average, but that was because I had a panic attack day of, so I would honestly say they aren’t that inflated. It’s really important to have a routine and methods of calming down before the exam, I learned my lesson!

I scored about 7 points lower than my FL average, but that was because I had a panic attack day of, so I would honestly say they aren’t that inflated. It’s really important to have a routine and methods of calming down before the exam, I learned my lesson!
That's what happened to me. I was scoring near 513-516 before the exam, but I panicked on exam day and my CARS dropped by 4 points

I took the AAMC FL test and never got higher than a 508, then the next time I took them a year later I averaged a 516. Then I got a 516 on the real think.
Sure I might have remembered accouple questions 1 year later. But I performed better on the tests because my base knowledge and test taking skills got better.
So If you are performing well trust the process and kill it on test day.
That's encouraging to hear! thanks for sharing!

I just retook the exams under exam conditions and then just reviewed the questions I got wrong! I also really focused on CARS which was the reason I had to retake... lol. I did a full length CARS passage every day before I started studying, then I focused on WWorld questions and the AAMC SB questions. for practice I always did 59 questions in a row and then reviewed any I was unsure of. Just don't stress too much, make sure your mindset is good going into the test. That was one of my big mistakes going into the first one! Its not quantity of studying, its quality. Best of luck!
I think that's what I'll start doing as well. I always do 1 passage for each to start, but doing 59 questions is more like the exam. Did you also do 9 CARS passages every day?

I did a full length CARS test every day and reviewed afterwards. I got these from WWorld question bank. They are a little harder than the test usually but good practice. The week before the test I just focused on AAMC CARS passages because they are more similar to what you will actually see on the test