This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fitdoc123

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got 262F as my score, and I dont know what that means. I want to know how far I was from passing. Optics i scored in the 63 percentile, so that was my weak point. I want to retake it in August 2019. I am planning on taking the KMK signature summer course. if anyone has taking this course please give me more information regarding what it is like etc. I studied for 3 months for this test and had optoprep and I was studying close to everyday. I scored in the 83% for immun/micro, 79 percent for anatomy, systemic health. and 63% for biochem and optics. So please anyone that has a game plan, I will be starting to study for the august 6 2019 test on may 18 after my finals .
please need some encouragement so anyone that didn't do well please help me out with some encouraging words and stories.

****** UPDATE AS OF 8/30/2020:
PASSED PART 2 : 505P , TMOD: 84P
PASSED PART 3: 608P
Part 1: registered Nov 2020

***** UPDATE AS OF 1/29/2021:
PASSED PART 1 !!! ( I used KMK signature and Optoprep)
BOARDS ARE OFFICIALLY OVER !!!!!
Officially licensed in my state, currently working full time
And I am applying for Ocular Disease Residency- I know that alot of optometry students typically go straight to residency after graduating, but I had to wait for boards to be over in order to apply. Many residency interviews have been asking me the same question : " Why go back and do a residency if you are already working, thats a large paycut" and my reasoning will always be if i wanted to make fast money then I wouldnt have gone into optometry, there are so many other professions that give you faster money then spending 8 years in school. But i went into optometry because of wanting to be in a hospital or community health center and doing international mission trips, with that being said, I always wanted to do a residency but I didnt have the opportunity to because of boards, not that I am officially done with boards, I am going to pursue it- update coming soon.

***** UPDATE 06/16/2021
I matched into an ocular disease residency and will be starting July 1.
Residencies were very receptive to me during the interview process and admired my tenacity and perseverance, that thought of it as a strength and made me a strong applicant.
I decided to apply for residency because I don’t enjoy the private sector of optometry as much as hospital,community based health center , optometry school.
If residency is your interest don’t give up keep going, who cares if people think “it’s unnecessary and you don’t need it”
Confidence is the utmost value that I find from residency.. having confidence in your skills is enough of a reason to complete one.
You can do it!

** boards journey has come to a happy end, residency here I come**

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
It means you were close to passing. Some people may say that KMK signature is overkill but it really does help. You really need to keep up with their study plan because it's alot. Study hard in your weak areas but also refresh concepts in your strong areas. You will do well, keep positive.

It means you were close to passing. Some people may say that KMK signature is overkill but it really does help. You really need to keep up with their study plan because it's alot. Study hard in your weak areas but also refresh concepts in your strong areas. You will do well, keep positive.
thank you very much! I feel so unsure with my optics knowledge, do you have any tips to get do better on optics?

Members don't see this ad :)
"Try something different."

KMK Signature did state 11.8% increase in board scores on their site. (I don't get paid by KMK to advertise for them). Besides, you'll probably need to refresh concepts like what @eye.believe stated from each major/minor subject. You will never know what they'll ask next.

If you are unsure about optics, doing problems over and over will help. If you found questions (from videos, quizzes, or mock test) to be difficult from KMK or optoprep, I would write it down on a separate notebook. Organize them on that notebook if some questions are similar (ei: same logics of answering or formula use). I do this so that I can do those same problems (while hiding the answer) 1 week after and see if I do get them. From time to time, I'll re-do 3-5 Optic related question on days I'm finished with subjects I've conquered that day. Also, don't hesitate to text/call a colleague - if you truly don't understand how to tackle a problem. They might direct you to class notes you took with them or even show you how they might answer it. Right now is the time to make mistakes - but find the answer as to why. Lastly, you know when is the best time for you to study (Morning or Night). Don't drag those questions later on the day when you don't even want to study - do them first if possible.

Best Wishes, feel free to PM.

I know exactly how you feel. I got a 294F and I think I was 6 points away from passing with optics being my worst section in the 66th percentile. I feel so disappointed in myself and I feel like I disappointed my whole class while a majority of them passed. I had the KMK Signature and Optoprep but their optics section didn’t prepare me as well (obviously lol). But that’s because I have always struggled with optics. I plan on reviewing my old notes from my classes so I have a more solid foundation and doing more practice problems. Good luck and feel free to PM if you want to talk. We can do this!

I know exactly how you feel. I got a 294F and I think I was 6 points away from passing with optics being my worst section in the 66th percentile. I feel so disappointed in myself and I feel like I disappointed my whole class while a majority of them passed. I had the KMK Signature and Optoprep but their optics section didn’t prepare me as well (obviously lol). But that’s because I have always struggled with optics. I plan on reviewing my old notes from my classes so I have a more solid foundation and doing more practice problems. Good luck and feel free to PM if you want to talk. We can do this!
Thank You so much !!!
what are your opinions of the KMK signature program?
We can will PASS this!!

Thank You so much !!!
what are your opinions of the KMK signature program?
We can will PASS this!!

I think the KMK signature program is really great! I love their booster and crash course videos and I just kept watching them over and over again. I scored 82 for anatomy, 79 for Biochem/physiology, 79 for immune/micro/pathology, and 70 for pharmacology. I think I’m also going to print out the NBEO drug list and study all the drugs individually just to help with the pharmacology section more.

I think the KMK signature program is really great! I love their booster and crash course videos and I just kept watching them over and over again. I scored 82 for anatomy, 79 for Biochem/physiology, 79 for immune/micro/pathology, and 70 for pharmacology. I think I’m also going to print out the NBEO drug list and study all the drugs individually just to help with the pharmacology section more.
Can you go at your own pace? Ex if anatomy is easier for u can you go ahead?
also what are the supplemental materials?
i saw some classmates they printed out additional handouts and i also heard that they mail you a booster textbook with additional material?

For optics: how could u have supplemented there material?

i got :
76 Anatomy
67 Biochem/Physi
83 Immuno/micro/pathology
63 optics
79 pharmacology

I would like to score 80s across the board

Can you go at your own pace? Ex if anatomy is easier for u can you go ahead?
also what are the supplemental materials?
i saw some classmates they printed out additional handouts and i also heard that they mail you a booster textbook with additional material?

For optics: how could u have supplemented there material?

i got :
76 Anatomy
67 Biochem/Physi
83 Immuno/micro/pathology
63 optics
79 pharmacology

I would like to score 80s across the board
Yes, you can go at your own pace.
The KMK signature course comes with a booster book and a blank crash course notebook to go with the booster and crash course videos.
For optics, I think I will review my class lectures first and then watch the videos on KMK and do questions from Optoprep.

I'm not sure if you know but I just found out that if you check your score on the NBEO website and you click on the hyperlink for "2019" or "Mar," it gives you a further percentage breakdown of your scores.

Can you tell me how you studied for pharmacology and immuno/micro/pathology? You did so well on those sections!

I got 262F as my score, and I dont know what that means. I want to know how far I was from passing. Optics i scored in the 63 percentile, so that was my weak point. I want to retake it in August 2019. I am planning on taking the KMK signature summer course. if anyone has taking this course please give me more information regarding what it is like etc. I studied for 3 months for this test and had optoprep and I was studying close to everyday. I scored in the 83% for immun/micro, 79 percent for anatomy, systemic health. and 63% for biochem and optics. So please anyone that has a game plan, I will be starting to study for the august 6 2019 test on may 18 after my finals .
please need some encouragement so anyone that didn't do well please help me out with some encouraging words and stories.

First off don’t kill yourself over this, the test was hard. Second, you’re going to DOMINATE it the next time around! I thought opto prep was really helpful and feel like that’s part of the reason I passed and didn’t have signature (this cycle). I think going back into your old notes for ophthalmic optics / optics is probably the most useful. I spent a lot of 1 on 1 time with my optics professor as well asking questions and clearing concepts I didn’t understand and thought that was really helpful!

And geez optics must have been weighted a lot.. I got an 80 overall in it but my anatomy was far worse then yours..

Yes, you can go at your own pace.
The KMK signature course comes with a booster book and a blank crash course notebook to go with the booster and crash course videos.
For optics, I think I will review my class lectures first and then watch the videos on KMK and do questions from Optoprep.

I'm not sure if you know but I just found out that if you check your score on the NBEO website and you click on the hyperlink for "2019" or "Mar," it gives you a further percentage breakdown of your scores.

Can you tell me how you studied for pharmacology and immuno/micro/pathology? You did so well on those sections!

I only reviewed those topics through KMK, and i reviewed those chapters around 3x. and I liked those things so i spent more time with them.

hence, i dont like optics so i didnt spend enough time with it, i though the other sections would carry me through

First off don’t kill yourself over this, the test was hard. Second, you’re going to DOMINATE it the next time around! I thought opto prep was really helpful and feel like that’s part of the reason I passed and didn’t have signature (this cycle). I think going back into your old notes for ophthalmic optics / optics is probably the most useful. I spent a lot of 1 on 1 time with my optics professor as well asking questions and clearing concepts I didn’t understand and thought that was really helpful!

And geez optics must have been weighted a lot.. I got an 80 overall in it but my anatomy was far worse then yours..

Thank you!! I think that once I have more time to study without having to study for classes, I can really focus on this!

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you!! I think that once I have more time to study without having to study for classes, I can really focus on this!

Completely agree! I’m just surprised you didn’t pass given your scores. I’m guessing optics is a huge chunk! Maybe reach out to your optics prof too! Best of luck you got this!!!

Members don't see this ad :)

Hi,
I came across this post of yours and though would ask you few tips which might help me. I am struggling to clear my boards part 1 for a while now . I have taken it three times already and every time I miss out by few points. Last time i took it was 288F.
Optics has been my weak section- biochem and physio 66, optics 66 anatomy 78 Imm/micro path 84 and pharm 77
I was wondering if you did any thing different this time that has helped you. I am really very disappointed with my scores, I am looking for any advice/help to boost my lost self confidence and help me with this exam. I have done kmk and signature both. Signature was very helpful
Many times i have thought of giving up but I try to stay positive again..I know a few people who have passed this exam after multiple attempts and are successful clinicians.

Please advice.

Thanks

Hi,
I came across this post and though would ask you few tips which might help me. I am struggling to clear my boards part 1 for a while now .
I have taken it three times already and every time I miss out by few points. Last time i took it was 288F August 2019
Optics has been my weak section- biochem and physio 66, optics 66 anatomy 78 Imm/micro path 84 and pharm 77
I was wondering if you did any thing different that has helped you. I am really very disappointed with my scores, I am looking for any advice/help to boost my lost self confidence and help me with this exam. I have done KMK and signature as well. Signauture was surely helpful
Many times i have thought of giving up but I try to stay positive again..I know a few people who have passed this exam after multiple attempts and are successful clinicians.

Please advice.

Hi,
I came across this post and though would ask you few tips which might help me. I am struggling to clear my boards part 1 for a while now .
I have taken it three times already and every time I miss out by few points. Last time i took it was 288F August 2019
I was wondering if you did any thing different that has helped you. I am really very disappointed with my scores, I am looking for any advice/help to boost my lost self confidence and help me with this exam. I have done KMK and signature as well. Signauture was surely helpful

Please advice.
Have you tried Optoprep?

Hello ,
I know this post is a year old so I hope you can still see this reply , if not considered spam :)
I graduated 1990 in US accredited school and lived abroad many years . I’m planning to take the NBEO starting with part2 . I have read that OptoPrep and KMK are really good .
Is there a way I can access KMK materials for part 2 only ? I wrote to them but got no answer yet .
any advise you can provide ?
thank you :)

KMK give part 1 & 2 together, unfortunately they don’t sell it separate. But it’s easy to study for both together so even if ur going to take part 2 first you can just tell then when you are going to take part 1 and they will make sure u have access to it.

i purchased KMK first in 2019 and I still have access to it, every time I needed to takea test I just told them and they pushed back my subscription date

I feel like KMK is good for part 1 and optoprep is better part 2. I got kmk signature and optoprep for part 1 and 2 but didn't think kmk was very helpful for part 2 at all, but if it's been a while since you've covered the materials then I guess it could be helpful. I also used Kanski Clinical Ophthalmology for pictures and treatment for part 2, I thought it was well worth the extra purchase because part 2 is pretty much all pictures, some of the pictures are almost identical to Kanski. It seems to me that optics were the most heavily weighted for part 1, there was a saying in my optometry school that if you pass optics you pass boards, I think its actually kinda true. When I took part 1, I was literally bombarded with optics questions right in the beginning of each session, if you're not comfortable with the materials, I can imagine it will slow you down and lose your confidence along the way.

****** UPDATE AS OF 8/30/2020:
PASSED PART 2 : 505P , TMOD: 84P
PASSED PART 3: 608P
Part 1: registered Nov 2020

***** UPDATE AS OF 1/29/2021:
PASSED PART 1 !!! ( I used KMK signature and Optoprep)
BOARDS ARE OFFICIALLY OVER !!!!!
Officially licensed in my state, currently working full time
And I am applying for Ocular Disease Residency- I know that alot of optometry students typically go straight to residency after graduating, but I had to wait for boards to be over in order to apply. Many residency interviews have been asking me the same question : " Why go back and do a residency if you are already working, thats a large paycut" and my reasoning will always be if i wanted to make fast money then I wouldnt have gone into optometry, there are so many other professions that give you faster money then spending 8 years in school. But i went into optometry because of wanting to be in a hospital or community health center and doing international mission trips, with that being said, I always wanted to do a residency but I didnt have the opportunity to because of boards, not that I am officially done with boards, I am going to pursue it- update coming soon.
Hello,

Congrats on passing!! Could you provide some insight on how you studied differently to pass Part 1? What were some of the things that worked for you and what didn't? Also, did you notice any difference in difficulty between taking March exams versus the August ones? Lastly, did KMK optics provide enough help to pass?

Thank you very much!

Cheers.

Hello,

Congrats on passing!! Could you provide some insight on how you studied differently to pass Part 1? What were some of the things that worked for you and what didn't? Also, did you notice any difference in difficulty between taking March exams versus the August ones? Lastly, did KMK optics provide enough help to pass?

Thank you very much!

Cheers.
The first 2 times that I took part 1, the one thing they had in common was that I was in school. When i graduated I just dedicated all of my time to studying for part 1/2, i completely cleared my schedule and didnt do anything else with my time, besides studying. while this was miserable and very very frustrating, I am happy that I did this because it paid off. Passing boards there isnt anythng that you need outside of your KMK/OPTOPREP/class notes, and classnotes I only used when I was reviewing soemthing that i wasnt understanding, at all..

the tests are the same difficulty no matter when you take it. and honestly, that shouldnt be your concern, u just need to focus on passing the test.

No optics was always difficult for me, even when i passed my score was a 69, which wasn't high, but everything else was a lot higher. for me I knew that optics wasnt my strongest so i just focused on building up the others and i tired my best with optics..

It really comes down to time management, like be honest
are you getting OFF OF SOCIAL MEDIA ( no posting, no likes, nada)
how many hours are u studying - anything more than 8 is not helping
are u getting good sleep, eatting properly, exercise?
do you meditate to help relieve stress

u know the material because u made it thorugh optometry school but now u need to get the other stuff down which is more mental than anything

how would you all recommend actively studying from kmk? Videos and taking notes has been feeling pretty passive for me and not nailing it down in my long-term memory.

I'm struggling as I am finishing many sections in the book but not able to remember much, especially the sections I studied a long time ago.

(I am doing practice questions/optoprep/flashcards as well. But how do i specifically remember the kmk book as I study it + all the many details provided)