Retaking C minus course?

Started by Xcited392
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Xcited392

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey everyone,

I'm new here and first off, there's a lot of great, useful info here. So thanks.

I searched here many times and haven't gotten an answer to a particular question of mine. I understand that If you get a C in your pre-reqs, it's advised to "get over it" and do well on advanced classes to show an upward trend, and if you get a D or lower, you should definitely retake the class. However, what if you got a C minus (C -)? It's not exactly a "C" or a "D", so what should one do?

Thanks for your suggestions.
 
You should look around, but a grade of C- is typically considered "not passing" for the purpose of medical school admissions. If this was in one of the pre-reqs, you should retake the course.
 
I agree. If you have the financial and time resources, retake it. I applied this year with one C-. All my other grades were very good: A, A- and B+ mostly...I thought one bad grade wouldn't kill me, I did get in to a few places but I also got the post-sec rejection from a good number of schools. I had a high MCAT, so I'm pretty sure the C- was a deal breaker for those schools...Good luck.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I got a C+ first semester, and I'll get a C+ this semester as well - and I don't intend to take it over. C-, not sure.
 
I suggest the OP do a search. The question of C- as non-passing has been discussed before, and the consensus was to retake.
 
you have to retake it. that's pretty low for a keystone pre-req (C+ would be allowable).
 
i was accepted to a pretty good private alloapthic medical school this cycle with a c- in organic chemistry. other semester, i got a c+. worst grades on my transcript, i didn't retake either semester.

so, it can be done. however, if you can retake it, i think that's probably smart.