Retaking class that I took at a community college

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jyy3gx

Reaction score
Hello I am a non-traditional premed, who did computer engineering undergrad. So back then I wasn't really thinking of going to med school, so I just took physics II (which is also an engineering req) at a local community college over the summer to save some cash/time. Now I am worried that I might have to retake it since it was taken at a community college and I don't have a grade for it since it is transfer credit. I am currently planning to do a DIY postbacc, and I am wondering if I should retake it or not.

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Did you take it for a letter grade at the community college? If so, then when applying, you’ll submit all transcripts from any institutions attended so it wouldn’t be an issue, provided the schools you are applying to accept CC classes (most do, but of course check with each school).

If you did not take it for a letter grade at the community college, then unfortunately you might need to retake it, or take another physics course to fulfill requirements at schools that want a year of physics. That was my experience with a couple of classes I had taken Pass/Fail.

Reactions: 1 user
Did you earn a grade at the CC even if your college just gave you credit? If you did earn an actual letter grade you should be fine. When you fill in the AMCAS application you also submit transcripts from every school you have earned college credit at. One thing you might want to check is if any of your grades expire. I’m not really sure but supposedly some schools won’t accept courses that are 5, 10 or more years old. Of course I have no way of knowing if this applies to you.

Reactions: 2 users
Did you take it for a letter grade at the community college? If so, then when applying, you’ll submit all transcripts from any institutions attended so it wouldn’t be an issue, provided the schools you are applying to accept CC classes (most do, but of course check with each school).

If you did not take it for a letter grade at the community college, then unfortunately you might need to retake it, or take another physics course to fulfill requirements at schools that want a year of physics. That was my experience with a couple of classes I had taken Pass/Fail.
Did you earn a grade at the CC even if your college just gave you credit? If you did earn an actual letter grade you should be fine. When you fill in the AMCAS application you also submit transcripts from every school you have earned college credit at. One thing you might want to check is if any of your grades expire. I’m not really sure but supposedly some schools won’t accept courses that are 5, 10 or more years old. Of course I have no way of knowing if this applies to you.
Thank you for the answers! I took it for a grade.

Would it be something that would hurt my application or just something minuscule that I shouldn't really worry about? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for the answers! I took it for a grade.

Would it be something that would hurt my application or just something minuscule that I shouldn't really worry about? Thanks!
It's one class. If the school takes CC classes, you're fine. If not, you'll either have to retake, take an upper level course (if the school allows for that), or cross that school off your list. For schools that accept CC classes, taking one class at a CC won't hurt you at all (assuming you did well :)).

Reactions: 1 users
It's one class. If the school takes CC classes, you're fine. If not, you'll either have to retake, take an upper level course (if the school allows for that), or cross that school off your list. For schools that accept CC classes, taking one class at a CC won't hurt you at all (assuming you did well :)).
Oh so do some schools not take CC classes at all? Is this the case for most schools?

Oh so do some schools not take CC classes at all? Is this the case for most schools?
It varies. Not most schools, but more than a few. And keep in mind, "not recommended" or "not preferred" means don't do it!

The only thing to do is to check the website of each school you are considering.

Reactions: 1 users