Retaking Classes and GPA at Community College

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xNeenax

Delano's Minion
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok this is going to be a very stupid question.

I took my history classes in a community college in the summer, but I've been attending a university. Does the classes I take in community college get added into my gpa count for pharmacy school (I know it doesn't get counted at a university)?

If it does get counted then, is it ok to retake classes that I got Bs in at a community college? I got Bs in some science classes like Chem I and II and OChem I and II and I think I'm going to get a B in biology (long and frustrating story on how that happened) and it's really hurting my gpa but I don't want to pay $1000 for each class to retake it. Or do pharmacy schools calculate my cumulative gpa solely on the classes I took at the university?

Oh and I plan on applying to Oklahoma University and Texas pharmacy schools (don't know if that matters)

Members don't see this ad.

There's no point in retaking a class you got a B in.

yea definitely no point in retaking those classes. the only class i retook was an incredibly hard class that i bombed and got a D in (retook and got a B). all my other grades were A's and B's. dont be worried about Bs..you are doing great!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I mean I know if I retake those classes, I would get an A in it because I made a B the first time, so I obviously know the material. But, my gpa is really low. I have a 3.3 and I have to have a 3.7 to be considered competitive. I heard that texas schools were very competitive and that attaining a 3.7 gpa is necessary.

If I keep getting Bs, that would be very bad. I haven't gotten an A in a science class yet (except for the labs). Science is pretty much where I made my Bs in, so my science gpa is like a 3.0.

Last edited:
I'm in a similar situation. I have a low gpa so i decided to retake my classes at the local community college since I graduated college about 4yrs ago. So far these are my grades when i retook the classes over. I got an A in orgo 1&2, A in A&P 1, B+ in microbio and A&P 2. Im taking gen chem and physics in the summer. Should I retake stats and Calc over. I got a C in calc and B in stats the first time I took it. My local community college does not offer General Biology so I can't retake those classes over. Because of that I took A&P instead of Gen Bio.

I'm in a similar situation. I have a low gpa so i decided to retake my classes at the local community college since I graduated college about 4yrs ago. So far these are my grades when i retook the classes over. I got an A in orgo 1&2, A in A&P 1, B+ in microbio and A&P 2. Im taking gen chem and physics in the summer. Should I retake stats and Calc over. I got a C in calc and B in stats the first time I took it. My local community college does not offer General Biology so I can't retake those classes over. Because of that I took A&P instead of Gen Bio.

If you got a C in calculus then you should definitely retake it.

Two things that came to mind based on what was expressed:

1) It doesn't look that good when the A's are only from repeats. If you can get A's in new courses, that's also reason to not repeat.

2) Retaking courses at a CC while still enrolled in a university suggests avoidance of what is generally considered a more difficult evaluation system. This is especially so when grades at a CC are inconsistent with grades at the U. On the other hand, the financial (or geographical and so forth) argument works better when the grades are consistent.

So in other words, academic evaluation consists of more than just the GPA. You should think about what an evaulator might think if they look at your full transcript and considered the circumstances inferred from your essay(s)/interview.

Two things that came to mind based on what was expressed:

1) It doesn't look that good when the A's are only from repeats. If you can get A's in new courses, that's also reason to not repeat.

2) Retaking courses at a CC while still enrolled in a university suggests avoidance of what is generally considered a more difficult evaluation system. This is especially so when grades at a CC are inconsistent with grades at the U. On the other hand, the financial (or geographical and so forth) argument works better when the grades are consistent.

So in other words, academic evaluation consists of more than just the GPA. You should think about what an evaulator might think if they look at your full transcript and considered the circumstances inferred from your essay(s)/interview.

That is very true, thank you for that. I guess I should stop worrying so much.

But it's ok to take speech, literature, and economics at a community college, right? I'm doing a biology degree and those three classes aren't on my plan, so I thought it would be ok to take it in the summer at a CC. Plus they're not sciences courses.
I took some history and government courses (four classes) at a CC too just because my history teacher in high school told me that it would be better to take it at a CC if you're not majoring in history or government.

If I do take speech, LIT, and econ. at a CC then I would have 7 classes taken at a community college. I don't know if that's ok or not.

The reason why I'm retaking the courses at a community college is that I graduated about 5 years ago. It is expensive to go back to my old college and also it's more convenient to drive to the local community college.

Does the pharmacy schools really care about the math grades. I got a C in calc and I can't retake till the fall because the class is already closed. I was thinking about applying at the end of the summer. Would this hurt my chances of getting an interview.

xNeenax: In that case, it will be very school dependent. I don't know anything about TX schools in particular. Some schools consider CC and U courses interchangable. Others might outright discourage CC courses.

qcchemist, I think your situation is different and justifies CC more so than someone still at a U. It is very possible that your old college, like others, won't allow non-accepted students to take courses without seeking a degree.