retaking classes at community college

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kov82

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I finished my DAT May 27th, my score is not bad, but my GPA is on the lower end, I was studying so intensely that I didn't even want to think about post bacs or special masters programs, but once I was done with the test, and looked over my transcript, I started looking around, the problem was, that EVERY deadline had passed, I'm still going to apply for dental school, but I have a year, I figure I can continue volunteering, but I have to take classes to raise my gpa, since all the post bac's and masters program deadlines have passed, I'm thinking of just going to my old community college to take physics over again (since that was what brings down my science gpa, I took physics at UCLA) and two science classes I have never taken: anatomy and intro to physiology, possibly microbiology, you guys think that this is a good idea? or the schools wont care that I retook the physics since its at a community college? what should I do?

Members don't see this ad.

So I finished my DAT May 27th, my score is not bad, but my GPA is on the lower end, I was studying so intensely that I didn't even want to think about post bacs or special masters programs, but once I was done with the test, and looked over my transcript, I started looking around, the problem was, that EVERY deadline had passed, I'm still going to apply for dental school, but I have a year, I figure I can continue volunteering, but I have to take classes to raise my gpa, since all the post bac's and masters program deadlines have passed, I'm thinking of just going to my old community college to take physics over again (since that was what brings down my science gpa, I took physics at UCLA) and two science classes I have never taken: anatomy and intro to physiology, possibly microbiology, you guys think that this is a good idea? or the schools wont care that I retook the physics since its at a community college? what should I do?

i am taking micro, physiology at cc. Midwestern does not seem to have a problem with it. I dont know about other shcool

I'm thinking of just going to my old community college to take physics over again (since that was what brings down my science gpa, I took physics at UCLA) and two science classes I have never taken: anatomy and intro to physiology, possibly microbiology, you guys think that this is a good idea? or the schools wont care that I retook the physics since its at a community college? what should I do?
It is a great idea, as long as the schools you are applying to accept CC credits. See doc toothache's thread for a list of d-schools that accept/don't accept CC credits: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=527335.

My advice is to take the separate anatomy and physiology courses; take anatomy in the fall and physiology in the spring. These classes will better prepare you for d-school than the combine A&P course. Do not take the combined "anatomy & physiology" course. Microbiology is a good choice. If you have a local commuter state school, histology and biochemistry are good choices for upper level biology courses.

Good luck.

I would check with the schools for sure as stated above. I know for a fact some schools frown upon CC classes, especially if it's a re-take. It all depends on where you want to go I suppose. Give them a call and ask...can't hurt! Best wishes!!

Scotty