Retaking classes help.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ryomagoku

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm new to this forum.

I'm going to be a third year at my university.
I was going for MD school, but I changed my mind after I learn about DO school and its philosophy.

My question is that I did not do well in general biology 1st and 2nd quarter, and organic chemistry for 2nd and 3rd quarter.

I am planning on retaking these classes, but I am not sure with some stuff:

1. My school is by quarter system. Is it okay if I take it at community college?
2. If so, should I take both semesters of biology and organic chemistry? Or just one?
3. I did pretty well on lab course, is there any way to opt out the lab section?
4. How about a math class that I got a C+ on?

Other question is that I have no clue to find a D.O. to shadow. I live in California near Pomona area. I would really appreciate some advice and help!

Thank you so much!
:)

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, I'm new to this forum.

I'm going to be a third year at my university.
I was going for MD school, but I changed my mind after I learn about DO school and its philosophy.

My question is that I did not do well in general biology 1st and 2nd quarter, and organic chemistry for 2nd and 3rd quarter.

I am planning on retaking these classes, but I am not sure with some stuff:

1. My school is by quarter system. Is it okay if I take it at community college?
2. If so, should I take both semesters of biology and organic chemistry? Or just one?
3. I did pretty well on lab course, is there any way to opt out the lab section?
4. How about a math class that I got a C+ on?

Other question is that I have no clue to find a D.O. to shadow. I live in California near Pomona area. I would really appreciate some advice and help!

Thank you so much!
:)

1.) You can retake at a community college as long as the credits of the retake are equal to or more than the original course. In my personal experience and opinion I'd take the retakes at the university you did the original classes just to avoid confusion later on when you are trying to get the grades replaced.

2.) Retake all science classes that you got a C or lower in

3.) I don't know how your school does their labs. My university doesn't attach most labs to the class. We have Orgo 1 and Orgo 1 lab separately. Again, if I were you I would retake at your original university, if this means repeating labs because they are attached to the class then just do it.

4.) math isn't counted in osteopathic GPAs so don't worry about retaking it unless it will majorly impact your cGPA.

Everyone else is going to tell you to search the forums for your answers, these are pretty common questions. Good luck on your retakes, I'm in the middle of that process now!

Last edited:

The word is that California is a tough place to find shadowing, so you'll have to be extra motivated. I think the general consensus is try to shadow with family/friends who are physicians, then your primary care physician, then family/friends' physicians, failing all else cold call/show up. Also you may not want to limit yourself to D.Os. Your experience shadowing probably won't be much different regardless of the doctors' degree.

Members don't see this ad :)
I heard that western University and a few other university require a letter of recog from at least one D.O., so shouldn't I look into D.O. Shadowing more??? :0

I heard that western University and a few other university require a letter of recog from at least one D.O., so shouldn't I look into D.O. Shadowing more??? :0

If you plan to apply to a school that needs a DO letter then yes you'll need to shadow a DO. Check with your schools premed committee, they usually have a book of local DO docs that will allow students to shadow them. Or you can do what I did and find one on the internet and then email them and ask how they would feel about a free volunteer!