Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Retaking classes with B grades

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by void, May 14, 2008.

  1. void

    5+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Dec 26, 2006
    Messages:
    81
    Likes Received:
    1
    Status:
    Pre-Medical
    I've heard it all, that it's not necessary to retake a class you got a B in. Only retake if you got a C- or below.

    But I am losing my sanity here. I did poorly last semester, and took the second semester installments of the same classes this semester. I studied 1000x harder/smarter, and did well except I bombed the finals. I end up with the same grades I got last semester, which subsequently brings my GPA down even lower.

    It's kind of nervewracking also, to have gotten a B in General Chemistry II back in freshman year.

    My GPA is a 3.5, and around a 3.4 BCPM. Retaking courses at my school eliminate the old grade from my calculated GPA and leave the new grade, but I know that medical schools take the average of both.

    It seems that for grades where I got B's in, if I retake them and get A's, I will have medical schools calculate them as B+/A-'s... which are better than B's.

    If I have free space in my schedule, why not retake a couple of courses? It seems like the only logical thing to do, since I am desperate to raise my GPA and this will invariably raise it (in both the school and med school's eyes.)
     
  2. kevster2001

    kevster2001 Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Dec 18, 2004
    Messages:
    1,350
    Likes Received:
    2
    Status:
    Medical Student
    Not worth it.
     
  3. radxbandit

    2+ Year Member

    Joined:
    May 8, 2008
    Messages:
    158
    Likes Received:
    0
    Status:
    Pre-Medical
    coming from someone who has the same GPA as you, with similar circumstances (B's freshman year) I would recommend against it. Rather, use that free space to do something else that shows you are intrested in becoming a doctor (volutneer, shadow a physician, work in a clinic etc). I think it might behoove you to accept your grades and try to kick *** on the MCAT, the mighty equalizer and focus that extra time elsewhere.
     
  4. Maxprime

    Maxprime Higgs chaser
    5+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Nov 28, 2005
    Messages:
    2,125
    Likes Received:
    7
    Status:
    Medical Student
    If I saw someone retaking B's for A's, I would assume they were lazy and didn't want to learn anything new.
     
  5. RySerr21

    RySerr21 i aint kinda hot Im sauna
    10+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Dec 22, 2007
    Messages:
    5,931
    Likes Received:
    23
    Status:
    Fellow [Any Field]
    are you sure AMCAS averages the two grades??? i thought only AACOMAS had any type of grade forgiveness policy.


    either way....its not worth it....its a B. i have many B's in science courses and you couldn't pay me to take them again just for the chance that I'd get an A-/A.

    go enjoy other classes that are worth learning about.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. Maxprime

    Maxprime Higgs chaser
    5+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Nov 28, 2005
    Messages:
    2,125
    Likes Received:
    7
    Status:
    Medical Student
    AMCAS definitely averages two grades from one course - the DO schools take the most recent grade for a given course.
     
  7. void

    5+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Dec 26, 2006
    Messages:
    81
    Likes Received:
    1
    Status:
    Pre-Medical
    I will do all of that. I'm volunteering this summer, and I've been working at a clinic for the past 2 years. It's just shattering how I started this semester with a 3.7, went to a 3.5 last semester, and now am at low 3.5's.

    I placed out of a few classes coming into college, and used that as an opportunity to take classes I was interested in (economics, philosophy, poetry, etc) but taking all of these classes caused me to spread myself thin and lose focus on classes like orgo and bio.

    Looking at my transcript, I definitely do have a pretty good range of class topics (literature, philosophy, politics, economics, etc) and I have room for future interesting classes (computer programming, debate, art history) etc. If I have a spot open, why not retake Gen Chem II, or Econ I (where I also got a B, because I failed the final which was on the same day as my orgo final..)

    I'm not 100% sure that AMCAS taked the average of the two scores, but assuming that they did, it still seems like a good idea. If they ask me in an interview, "Why did you retake general chemistry if you got a B in it?" can't I just answer "because I wanted to make sure I understood all of the material/because i wanted to master the material for the MCAT/because I wanted to do better/ because I want to get into your damn school!" I don't know why it's so taboo to retake a class you got a B in.
     
  8. flip26

    2+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Dec 20, 2007
    Messages:
    4,795
    Likes Received:
    8
    Status:
    Medical Student
    If you retake it, and don't make an A, you will look like a total loser...if you retake it, and you make an A, you will look like a slacking, grade grubbing jerk...

    Move on. Take upper level science classes. Stop making Bs, and stop making excuses for your bad grades. Show an upward trend, make the issue go away with stellar grades in your remaining years of college...
     
  9. bcat85

    10+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Nov 5, 2007
    Messages:
    1,776
    Likes Received:
    42
    Status:
    Resident [Any Field]
    yeah don't do that
     
  10. BrainBuff

    10+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Oct 1, 2007
    Messages:
    1,407
    Likes Received:
    55
    Status:
    Resident [Any Field]
    I have to agree with everything everyone else has posted. Do not retake courses where you got Bs while trying to get As.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  11. SaveThisLabRat

    SaveThisLabRat $700 Billion Dollar Woman
    2+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Mar 26, 2007
    Messages:
    1,095
    Likes Received:
    1
    Status:
    Pre-Pharmacy
    HAHA I'm just imagining this happening.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  12. ChubbyChaser

    ChubbyChaser Yummmy
    2+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Apr 14, 2007
    Messages:
    13,169
    Likes Received:
    5
    Status:
    Medical Student
    you should probably retake....I made an A- in quantum mechanics and I retook.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  13. Bacchus

    Administrator Moderator Physician 10+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Apr 27, 2007
    Messages:
    20,653
    Likes Received:
    1,988
    Status:
    Attending Physician
    Law of diminishing returns: a law affirming that to continue after a certain level of performance has been reached will result in a decline in effectiveness.

    Take upperlevel courses and move on. Bs get degrees (PharmD's,PhDs,DO,MD,DPT,MOT,BS,BA).

    You're going to face an inferno in this thread. If you progress further in your coursework you may also not be allowed to repeat a course that was a prereq, keep this in mind.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  14. void

    5+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Dec 26, 2006
    Messages:
    81
    Likes Received:
    1
    Status:
    Pre-Medical
    Law of diminishing returns isn't applicable after a technological advance aka me getting smarter. If I don't get an A the second time around, then I will look like an idiot, that is true.

    I know I'm going to face an inferno in this thread, but it just seems to make sense to me that it's better to retake a class especially if you have room. I have way too many B's and B+'s, and far too little A's. Even in the upper level courses that I am going to take, there's little chance that I'll ace those if I can't ace these right now. I'm going to take Physics and Biochem next year, and Physical Chem the year after that. There's no WAY I'll ace those classes, even if I spend all of my time studying. I haven't made the decision to retake a course yet, but if I have to, I will.
     
  15. Pedsbro

    7+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Apr 7, 2008
    Messages:
    860
    Likes Received:
    3
    Status:
    Fellow [Any Field]
    Are you sure your school will even let you retake a course if you got a B? I know at mine, you couldn't retake unless you got a C- or below, but I don't know how common that is. AMCAS counts both grades as if you took two separate classes. AACOMAS will just use what's given credit on your transcript (i.e. if your school doesn't count the first grade in the class on the transcript and only uses the second one in figuring your school GPA).
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  16. Bacchus

    Administrator Moderator Physician 10+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Apr 27, 2007
    Messages:
    20,653
    Likes Received:
    1,988
    Status:
    Attending Physician
    I didn't do hot in gen chem but did decently well in Basic Inorganic and Analytical.

    I improved my bio grade by 3 levels second semester.

    Despite the gen chem maladies I did well in biochem and organic.

    Despite the 1st semester bio grade I did well in microbio.

    These classes build on each other, but it is not impossible to do well if you "screw up" the first time.

    The effort into repeating these courses can be trumped by taking upper levels.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  17. scarletgirl777

    10+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Mar 25, 2008
    Messages:
    2,325
    Likes Received:
    123
    Status:
    Medical Student
    It would be nice to get a real adcom in on this, but I think they would see that as a waste of your time. If med school admissions happened via a number crunching computer, this would make sense. But there are real people who will look at your transcript and potentially roll their eyes. They'll wonder why you wasted that space instead of taking another class or putting more effort into volunteering or an extracurricular.
     
  18. 135892

    135892 Guest
    2+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Feb 5, 2007
    Messages:
    1,367
    Likes Received:
    4
    Status:
    Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    Uhhh.... NO. Just take upper-level classes, and do well in them....its as simple as that
     
  19. Bacchus

    Administrator Moderator Physician 10+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Apr 27, 2007
    Messages:
    20,653
    Likes Received:
    1,988
    Status:
    Attending Physician
    Ding ding ding. :thumbup:
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  20. radxbandit

    2+ Year Member

    Joined:
    May 8, 2008
    Messages:
    158
    Likes Received:
    0
    Status:
    Pre-Medical
    that's not true, I got a B- my first term gen chem, C+ my first bio class, and i pulled upward from there and am now doing very well in my upper divisions. don't be so hard on yourself, have some confidence, put in the work, and you'll pull it off. you've got to start trusting yourself first, though. what year are you, by the way?
     
  21. radxbandit

    2+ Year Member

    Joined:
    May 8, 2008
    Messages:
    158
    Likes Received:
    0
    Status:
    Pre-Medical
    exactly
     
  22. Timmythemic22

    Timmythemic22 Beep Beep Ribby Ribby
    10+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Dec 28, 2004
    Messages:
    1,210
    Likes Received:
    24
    I'm trying to take a little more of an objective view that your attack on the guy, but I do agree with your main point. I believe if you're striving for such perfectionism at an undergrad level, you may be setting yourself up for burn-out if you do make it to med school.

    On a personal note, I had an undergrad 3.5 gpa with a 3.6 BCPM gpa, and I am in school. There are plenty of other ways around a gpa that puts you in the middle of the pack.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  23. HumidBeing

    HumidBeing In Memory of Riley Jane
    Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Verified Account 2+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Jun 18, 2007
    Messages:
    18,700
    Likes Received:
    7
    Void, you're running on a misconception. AMCAS, which I assume is what you're interested in, since you are asking on this forum, does NOT average the original & retake to get a single grade. What happens is that BOTH classes show up on their print, and EACH course is counted. True, it does in effect average out. It averages the SAME way that taking a lower level and upper class (or any different science class) would average together, except for one difference. Repeating that course makes it look like you didn't feel competent or confident enough to move on. You really don't want that to be a reviewer's first, and probably last, opinion of you.

    Sometimes, it can be difficult to decide whether to repeat a course. When you have earned a "B", it's not difficult at all, because retaking it has no advantage. It can only work against you.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  24. void

    5+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Dec 26, 2006
    Messages:
    81
    Likes Received:
    1
    Status:
    Pre-Medical

    If what you're saying is correct, then I guess it would make no sense to retake a course because they all average out to be the same in the mix. Unless, the retake will be easier to do well in than another class altogether... but then again, it will look bad from the adcom's perspective.

    So people are actually looking at the transcript? I was told by my pre-professional adviser that if I had a BCPM GPA lower than a 3.5 that they wouldn't even look at me.

    It's just maddening because I seriously put in a lot of effort this semester. Last semester I didn't work as hard, and scored in the B and B+ range in all of my classes. This semester, however, I studied my *** off and scored A's on all of my exams except I somehow (even though I studied) did horribly on the finals and it just flattened my grade so I'm making the same grades as I did last semester! I spoke to my professors and they said I did improve, noticably, but unfortunately in the eyes of the medical schools that will see my transcript they will see static grades, and as if I'm alright with it. As if I didn't spend the time to do better, when I studied over winter break and spring break to ensure a higher grade.

    I want that upward trend, but it just seems like grades are out of my power. In HS, I had an amazing upward trend (70% avg. freshman year, 98% sophomore, and junior year) but that was because i slacked severely in my freshman year. But in college, I've been working my *** off. Have I reached my limits, here?

    I'm a sophomore -> junior in a few days. I'm getting old, and losing the opportunity to screw up. Burning out? yep..
     
  25. Bacchus

    Administrator Moderator Physician 10+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Apr 27, 2007
    Messages:
    20,653
    Likes Received:
    1,988
    Status:
    Attending Physician
    You have the possibility of accumulating 30-40 credits of As before you apply. You'll survive. Relax.

    Adcoms see individual courses listed.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  26. Pedsbro

    7+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Apr 7, 2008
    Messages:
    860
    Likes Received:
    3
    Status:
    Fellow [Any Field]
    Uh...you need a new adviser. A generalization like that is misleading at best...or downright ludicrous. Some schools might do that, but certainly not all of them. Take a look at the MSAR science GPA's for accepted applicants at various schools. If some schools have average sci GPAs around 3.5-3.7, obviously they take some applicants with sci GPAs of 3.5 or below
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  27. HumidBeing

    HumidBeing In Memory of Riley Jane
    Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Verified Account 2+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Jun 18, 2007
    Messages:
    18,700
    Likes Received:
    7
    Void, your advisor about that 3.5 cutoff at SOME schools, but each one has its own way of determining which applications get a closer look. They take a variety of approaches in the way they weight GPA, MCAT, and trends. No matter which method they use to determine the apps to start combing through, once they get to that point, they WOULD be seeing that you retook classes that you got "B's" in, and the result won't be in your favor.

    It will work in your favor to take a higher level course and do well in that, because that's proof that you actually did master the previous material, AND that you are capable of handling more advanced classes well. Since you did well all semester, and just fell down on the finals, it really sounds like you have the capability to pull that off. It won't just look better on the application, it will give YOU more self-confidence, too.

    I completely empathize with you on that part about doing so much better, but not having it reflected in the transcript. I took one class where my final grade averaged .03% below the cutoff & wound up with the lower grade. I wasn't upset about getting the grade that I did, because I did my best & that was what I earned. The one thing that really bothered me was that I could tell that there was a large gap between my understanding of the subject and ones who just squeaked by. On paper, we looked the same. I did much better at the next level.

    Moving on is in your best interest because it sounds like your PERFORMANCE is in an upward trend. That's what counts. Keep it up and it will wind up being reflected in your grades and pull that GPA up. :thumbup:
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  28. departed

    2+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Apr 28, 2008
    Messages:
    33
    Likes Received:
    0
    Status:
    Pre-Medical
    It is impossible to project your grades.
    AMCAS will average both your grades.
     
  29. njbmd

    njbmd Guest
    Moderator Emeritus 5+ Year Member

    Joined:
    May 30, 2001
    Messages:
    9,050
    Likes Received:
    140
    Status:
    Attending Physician

    Here is what I look for in terms of retakes:

    If you received a grade of C or lower in a premed course, a retake (better receive a grade of "A" on the retake) makes sense. I would expect you to retake in this case since it is unlikely you have a strong knowledge base in this subject matter.

    If you received a grade of C+, B- or B, take a course in the same department with an equal number of credit hours but a higher course number and earn at least a B+.

    When I see grades of B that are retakes, I signal "red flag" for that applicant. As a committee, we would rather see an audit of a "B" grade pre-med course than a retake.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  30. SB100

    7+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Mar 22, 2007
    Messages:
    930
    Likes Received:
    3
    Status:
    Resident [Any Field]
    People who retake B classes to get As are the same people who will argue for points if they have a 98 average in the class. For the effort of re-learning the information (most of which you'll dump right after taking the final) it's not worth it.

    Kev, keep that blog going, I like it :)
     
  31. DocSoMa

    2+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Apr 6, 2008
    Messages:
    53
    Likes Received:
    4
    Status:
    Pre-Medical
    First of all, I don't think getting a B in a class makes you eligible for retaking that class (and I'm sure you're getting a lot of s*** from people on SDN because of it). I know you want a better grade in that class - we all wish we could improve our performance in a lot of the required courses.

    Personally, if I were an adcom, I wouldn't be particularly impressed to see someone retaking a class and getting an A because you've already learned the material before. Focus on doing well in the upper-level science courses and don't look back on the B classes. You should be worried if you're getting C's in your classes, or lower. You need to move forward, not backward. Just a small bit of advice.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  32. GoldShadow

    2+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Jul 16, 2007
    Messages:
    1,262
    Likes Received:
    4
    Status:
    Pre-Medical
    Solid advice. :thumbup:
     

Share This Page