Retaking Classes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jmed6182

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Allright....so im about to start on my 2 year plan to get into med school....so first up: Bringing my sci GPA above 3.0.....i really want to retake some of the prereqs I got a C in....so it is OK to redo these at a community college?

Members don't see this ad.

jmed6182 said:
Allright....so im about to start on my 2 year plan to get into med school....so first up: Bringing my sci GPA above 3.0.....i really want to retake some of the prereqs I got a C in....so it is OK to redo these at a community college?

Well in terms of beling allowed to do it, there is no problem, BUT, in terms of admissions committees, then I would advise against that. Reason being, although true or not, schools may view CC courses as inferior to university level courses.

Secondly, you are expected to get an A the class you have retaken. Yes you will improve your GPA, but not by much since for MD schools, they will be added to your overall undergrad GPA. Doing well in a class you got a C in only says that you can do average work the first time, and require at least a second time to get an A. Therefore most schools advise students to take a more advanced course to prove they can handle a more challenging course, rather than retaking a class they got a C in. For example, if you got a C in General Chemistry, you should take and get an A in Physical Chemistry.

Lastly, jumping back to a CC may be taken as trying to boost your GPA by taking easier courses. As stated above, schools may see it in that manner, and that can hurt you. Now if you transferred from a CC, and did well at the 4-year in more advanced courses, and on the MCAT, then that would usually remove any doubt that you can perform well at the university level. The going advice is to take and/or retake courses at a 4-year university.

I personally transferred, and took my pre-reqs at the CC, but also took additional upper division courses that can also be used as pre-reqs (e.g., advanced OChem, Physical Chemistry, Linear Algebra, Differential Equations). This is also why when I did post-bacc, I stayed at my 4-year university, and paid an arm and a leg, rather than go back to a CC.

jmed6182 said:

Hi there,
I would not re-take courses that you received a C in unless you just do not remember the material on any level. If you retake a course, it is far better to re-take it at a university and needless to say, you HAVE to get an A. Anything less is not going to help you.

If you really need to raise your GPA, take an upper division course and get an A. By doing this, you increase your GPA and you show that you can work at a higher level.

The other problem with community college retakes is that some medical schools will not accept community college courses.

Good luck!
njbmd :)