Retaking Classes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

qwirkz

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got A's in both Calc I and II during my undergrad, however, I got C's in both College Algebra and Pre-Calc (weird, I know). I was originally a Political Science major that switched to Computer Science, so once I took Pre-Calc my College Algebra class was basically nullified on my transcript.

With all of that in mind, would I be able to retake College Algebra and/or Pre-Calc for grade replacement seeing that I got A's in the two following calculus classes?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

for DO schools, yep. Not for MD schools though.

Unless I decimate the MCAT MD looks like a pretty lofty goal with my current 3.0 GPA. Even after a two year post-bacc with an upward trend, which will only get me to 3.2-3.25 (3.75-4.0 throughout). From what I've read anyways.

FrkyBgStok - will it not matter how my university treats retakes on my transcript ? (Since I've already graduated I'm unsure how this will show up). Also, I'm unfamiliar with the D.O. application process will I point out the classes I've taken again specifically, or will this be handled for me? Sorry if that seems like a pretty ignorant question.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you got the A in calc, then just forget about the college algebra and pre-calc. The adcom's are human, they can see the progress. That A says a lot.

What is retaking college algebra going to prove anyway?

If you retake a class, you indicate it on your AACOMAS app and they will use the replacement grade. It doesn't matter at all what your individual school does. You can even take it at a different school and have it replaced.

What is retaking college algebra going to prove anyway?

Are the replaced grades figured into the cumulative and science GPA's? If so, wouldn't the benefit be that it's the easiest/fastest method for improving my GPA? Or are the retaken classes are merely pointed out, and not figured into the GPA?

for DO schools if you take trig at 4 credits and get a D+, then you retake and get an A, AACOMAS will figure your GPA using 4 credit at A and the D+ is forgotten.