Visit this thread to beta-test StudySchedule.org. StudySchedule is a free nonprofit site that builds dynamic MCAT study schedules unique for your needs and timeline.

Retaking courses that aren't pre-reqs?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Professor Deej, Apr 13, 2012.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. Professor Deej

Professor Deej Member

Jun 26, 2011
    Arizona
    I got a D in financial accounting and a C+ in Health Care in the U.S. my freshman year. This was before I was pre-med. My schedule is already full and I would have to stay an extra semester to fit it in.

Are they worth retaking? Or should I just let it go since they aren't pre-reqs?

How important are non-prereqs to adcoms?

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. tantacles

tantacles Lifetime Donor SDN Moderator 7+ Year Member

Sep 28, 2009
    Physician
    They're important. Your total GPA will be reported, and these classes will have a negative impact on it. Getting a D in a course also tends to be somewhat of a red flag to admissions committees. If these two flubs happened in the same semester, it's even worse.

4. Professor Deej

Professor Deej Member

Jun 26, 2011
    Arizona
    So I should retake them?

5. sector9

sector9 Moderator Emeritus 5+ Year Member

Apr 27, 2011
    SDN Author
    hSDN Alumni
    I definitely wouldn't retake a C+ and also wouldn't retake a D if you don't need the class since it's not a prereq. If you're planning on applying DO as well as MD then it is a different story (I'd retake the D but keep the C+ probably but I'd first calculate out the GPA difference)

6. Professor Deej

Professor Deej Member

Jun 26, 2011
    Arizona
    Yea thats probably the wisest thing to do. Mucho gracias!