1. Visit this thread to beta-test StudySchedule.org. StudySchedule is a free nonprofit site that builds dynamic MCAT study schedules unique for your needs and timeline.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Check out the new Application Assistant, where you can calculate your LizzyM score, see how you rank compared to other applicants, and see a list of schools where similar students were accepted.

Retaking courses that aren't pre-reqs?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical Allopathic [ MD ]' started by Professor Deej, Apr 13, 2012.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. Professor Deej

Professor Deej Member

I got a D in financial accounting and a C+ in Health Care in the U.S. my freshman year. This was before I was pre-med. My schedule is already full and I would have to stay an extra semester to fit it in.

Are they worth retaking? Or should I just let it go since they aren't pre-reqs?

How important are non-prereqs to adcoms?

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. tantacles

tantacles Lifetime Donor SDN Moderator 7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Verified
    Physician
    They're important. Your total GPA will be reported, and these classes will have a negative impact on it. Getting a D in a course also tends to be somewhat of a red flag to admissions committees. If these two flubs happened in the same semester, it's even worse.

4. Professor Deej

Professor Deej Member

So I should retake them?

5. sector9

sector9 Moderator Emeritus 5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    SDN
    Author
    hSDN
    Alumni
    I definitely wouldn't retake a C+ and also wouldn't retake a D if you don't need the class since it's not a prereq. If you're planning on applying DO as well as MD then it is a different story (I'd retake the D but keep the C+ probably but I'd first calculate out the GPA difference)

6. Professor Deej

Professor Deej Member

Yea thats probably the wisest thing to do. Mucho gracias!

About the ads