Retaking courses through UNE?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Abraxas65

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know that not every school accepts prerequisites that are done online but what do they think about having prerequisites being retaken online? I have already passed all of the prerequisites but I am looking into retaking O chem 2, biochem and micro through UNE online simply to increase my GPA. Now I understand that retaking at a brick and mortar school would be ideal but does anyone have an idea how schools would look at online prereq retakes?

I know that it is going to depend on which schools I apply to, but I am just looking to see how some of SDN more regular members think about this issue. I can't imagine it could hurt me, could it?

If you have time I would love to hear from @Goro @LizzyM or anyone else who has admission experience.

Members don't see this ad.

Given that my school tends to look at folks with a GPA of 3.5 or higher (mostly much higher) we don't tend to see people who have retaken the pre-reqs. How would we know that the pre-reqs were taken online and not in person given the way they appear on the AMCAS? Would the clue be that the school if far from where you were living?

I will add that I'm an adcom at a top tier MD school but came here because I was asked to comment (the @LizzyM is my bat signal). @Goro may be a better gauge of how this will play to DO audiences.

Reactions: 1 user
Given that my school tends to look at folks with a GPA of 3.5 or higher (mostly much higher) we don't tend to see people who have retaken the pre-reqs. How would we know that the pre-reqs were taken online and not in person given the way they appear on the AMCAS? Would the clue be that the school if far from where you were living?

I will add that I'm an adcom at a top tier MD school but came here because I was asked to comment (the @LizzyM is my bat signal). @Goro may be a better gauge of how this will play to DO audiences.

Thanks for the response. The school is very far from where I live but I also hadn't thought about the fact that the actual transcript probably wont lab the class as being online. Seems like one of those situations where I am better off not including additional information that isn't asked for.

Members don't see this ad :)
My wily old Admissions dean tells me that online coursework is Ok as long as it's given by an accredited institution.

We can see on your AACOMAS transcript if a course is online, but it's never been a factor in any Adcom meeting I've been at.

I know that not every school accepts prerequisites that are done online but what do they think about having prerequisites being retaken online? I have already passed all of the prerequisites but I am looking into retaking O chem 2, biochem and micro through UNE online simply to increase my GPA. Now I understand that retaking at a brick and mortar school would be ideal but does anyone have an idea how schools would look at online prereq retakes?

I know that it is going to depend on which schools I apply to, but I am just looking to see how some of SDN more regular members think about this issue. I can't imagine it could hurt me, could it?

If you have time I would love to hear from @Goro @LizzyM or anyone else who has admission experience.

Reactions: 1 user

LizzyM on pre do!

Read reviews that these courses are a lot of work. Might be better to retake at a uni by you?

Read reviews that these courses are a lot of work. Might be better to retake at a uni by you?

That is what I have read as well. But it comes down to being able to take O chem and Biochem at a local university next semester which is going to cut into my tutoring and force me to rearrange my entire regular job schedule. Or I can do them one at a time online (and take more) and still be able to tutor and work my job. If necessary I can use PTO and take a couple of weeks off of work and simply try and power through them at a slightly accelerated pace. I have to admit I am a bit nervous but I hope that some hard work, prepping for the course with khan academy and the fact that I have actually passed the courses will help me pull an A/A- in the course. Even a B+ would benefit me.

My wily old Admissions dean tells me that online coursework is Ok as long as it's given by an accredited institution.

We can see on your AACOMAS transcript if a course is online, but it's never been a factor in any Adcom meeting I've been at.

Thanks Goro. I swear if I get in somewhere I am going to have to try and find someway to send you some chocolate or something for all of the help you have given me.

That is what I have read as well. But it comes down to being able to take O chem and Biochem at a local university next semester which is going to cut into my tutoring and force me to rearrange my entire regular job schedule. Or I can do them one at a time online (and take more) and still be able to tutor and work my job. If necessary I can use PTO and take a couple of weeks off of work and simply try and power through them at a slightly accelerated pace. I have to admit I am a bit nervous but I hope that some hard work, prepping for the course with khan academy and the fact that I have actually passed the courses will help me pull an A/A- in the course. Even a B+ would benefit me.

I wouldn't recommend trying to rush through these particular courses (even if you are in fact retaking them). Generally speaking, rushing through these classes will result in poor grades. Specifically, these online classes from UNE are regarded as being very challenging (in my opinion, even more challenging than in person classes).

Your academics should be just as important, if not more important to you than your tutoring and your regular job. In other words, I recommend having these classes be your #1 priority, as they will help you become admitted to medical school if you do well. Your tutoring, or other EC's, will be entirely useless if you have a poor GPA. Also, don't shoot for a B+. Try for an A every time.

Best of luck!

I wouldn't recommend trying to rush through these particular courses (even if you are in fact retaking them). Generally speaking, rushing through these classes will result in poor grades. Specifically, these online classes from UNE are regarded as being very challenging (in my opinion, even more challenging than in person classes).

Your academics should be just as important, if not more important to you than your tutoring and your regular job. In other words, I recommend having these classes be your #1 priority, as they will help you become admitted to medical school if you do well. Your tutoring, or other EC's, will be entirely useless if you have a poor GPA. Also, don't shoot for a B+. Try for an A every time.

Best of luck!

I have heard the same thing in regards to the courses difficulty. And I plan on doing some serious review before starting the course in a few weeks. I have no plans on rushing but the reality is I am already familiar with this course having already passed it and I tutor the subject semi-regularly. So I do not see this course taking the full 16 weeks.

The course will be my one of my main priorities but the fact is that I'm non-traditional and I have responsibilities outside of my academic pursuits. This will be true for the rest of the application cycle as well as during medical school. I feel that I should be able to succeed in this course with the amount of time I will be able to dedicate to it. Also I will be shooting for an A and would be very disappointed to not attain it. But that being said even if I were to slip up and get a B+ it would still benefit me by raising my GPA. I do appreciate the concern and the comment.

If your taking Biochem, Amazon has the same book for a little less than the UNE bookstore. I'll be taking it starting in December as well, along with 2 other in person classes and my full time job...good luck to you!

If your taking Biochem, Amazon has the same book for a little less than the UNE bookstore. I'll be taking it starting in December as well, along with 2 other in person classes and my full time job...good luck to you!

I am going to be starting with O Chem 2 and if everything goes well then do Biochem. Good luck man you seem like you are going to be super busy for a while.

I am going to be starting with O Chem 2 and if everything goes well then do Biochem. Good luck man you seem like you are going to be super busy for a while.

I'm taking Ochem 2 at a local University that has night classes. Same prof I had for Ochem 1, the guy is awesome. Plus I'm taking a grad Bio course.