1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

retaking courses?

Discussion in 'Pre-Veterinary' started by grady41, Dec 23, 2008.

1. grady41

grady41 grady41

Pre-Veterinary
    Hi everyone-- I'm interesting in retaking a lab, in which I received a C my first semester in college. I contacted the school in the city in which I am planning on moving to upon graduation, which has a vet school, to register for it, and was told that they only allow retakes if the grade is a D or lower. Are we just supposed to find a way around the system or what? I told the advisor that I was trying to raise the grade before applying to vet school, but he didn't seem to care. Any advice would really be appreciated!!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. elefante7

elefante7 UW Madison SVM c/o 2013!
    10+ Year Member

Veterinarian
    I've been told that instead of retaking a class with a C, you should take an upper level class in the same subject. This way, you can prove that you really have mastered the material and can even apply yourself at higher levels.

4. david594

david594 The-OSU CVM c/o 2013
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    If its a lab your first semester of college what class is it for? Bio, chem? 1 credit lab i assume?

Don't even worry about it. It will be nothing in the big picture.

5. sumstorm

7+ Year Member

Veterinarian
    Also, some vet schools only average the grades when you retake a class. That can change your view on taking a class for a low grade. So, if you obtained a 2.0, if you get a 4.0, it will average to 3.0, but if you get, say, a 3.0, your average will be 2.5 or a C+/B-.

I think the suggestion of an upper level course makes a lot of sense. Hopefully, 1 C in 3-4 years won't do a huge amount of damage to your overall gpa.