grady41

grady41
10+ Year Member
Dec 8, 2008
Status
Pre-Veterinary
Hi everyone-- I'm interesting in retaking a lab, in which I received a C my first semester in college. I contacted the school in the city in which I am planning on moving to upon graduation, which has a vet school, to register for it, and was told that they only allow retakes if the grade is a D or lower. Are we just supposed to find a way around the system or what? I told the advisor that I was trying to raise the grade before applying to vet school, but he didn't seem to care. Any advice would really be appreciated!!

elefante7

UW Madison SVM c/o 2013!
10+ Year Member
Apr 17, 2008
Status
Veterinarian
I've been told that instead of retaking a class with a C, you should take an upper level class in the same subject. This way, you can prove that you really have mastered the material and can even apply yourself at higher levels.

david594

The-OSU CVM c/o 2013
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 20, 2007
Status
Resident [Any Field]
If its a lab your first semester of college what class is it for? Bio, chem? 1 credit lab i assume?

Don't even worry about it. It will be nothing in the big picture.

sumstorm

10+ Year Member
Apr 5, 2008
NC
Status
Veterinarian
Also, some vet schools only average the grades when you retake a class. That can change your view on taking a class for a low grade. So, if you obtained a 2.0, if you get a 4.0, it will average to 3.0, but if you get, say, a 3.0, your average will be 2.5 or a C+/B-.

I think the suggestion of an upper level course makes a lot of sense. Hopefully, 1 C in 3-4 years won't do a huge amount of damage to your overall gpa.

About the Ads