retaking courses?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

grady41

grady41
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone-- I'm interesting in retaking a lab, in which I received a C my first semester in college. I contacted the school in the city in which I am planning on moving to upon graduation, which has a vet school, to register for it, and was told that they only allow retakes if the grade is a D or lower. Are we just supposed to find a way around the system or what? I told the advisor that I was trying to raise the grade before applying to vet school, but he didn't seem to care. Any advice would really be appreciated!!

Members don't see this ad.

I've been told that instead of retaking a class with a C, you should take an upper level class in the same subject. This way, you can prove that you really have mastered the material and can even apply yourself at higher levels.

If its a lab your first semester of college what class is it for? Bio, chem? 1 credit lab i assume?

Don't even worry about it. It will be nothing in the big picture.

Also, some vet schools only average the grades when you retake a class. That can change your view on taking a class for a low grade. So, if you obtained a 2.0, if you get a 4.0, it will average to 3.0, but if you get, say, a 3.0, your average will be 2.5 or a C+/B-.

I think the suggestion of an upper level course makes a lot of sense. Hopefully, 1 C in 3-4 years won't do a huge amount of damage to your overall gpa.