Retaking DAT in Summer and Submitting Application Before Retake

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jtravens22

5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

I am planning to retake my DAT over the summer in the beginning of July (17 AA, TS 20, PAT 18) because I scored really low on GC with a 14. I was thinking of submitting my application really early in June with my current DAT scores and then submitting my retake scores right after I take it in July. Is that a good idea, or should I wait to submit my application until after I take my retake in July?

Thanks!
Can dental schools see that GC score or do they only see the TS?

Can dental schools see that GC score or do they only see the TS?
Schools see every score:
upload_2018-3-14_16-6-43.png
Unofficial are the ones I entered the day I took it, Official are the ones that were uploaded by the ADA.

Hi everyone,

I am planning to retake my DAT over the summer in the beginning of July (17 AA, TS 20, PAT 18) because I scored really low on GC with a 14. I was thinking of submitting my application really early in June with my current DAT scores and then submitting my retake scores right after I take it in July. Is that a good idea, or should I wait to submit my application until after I take my retake in July?

Thanks!
I would say submit right after you take it in July. Schools may already make a decision on you with your current scores if you were to apply in June and/or they may "forget" about you since you don't have the "right" scores in yet (ie. your retake scores). July is still early enough. Just make sure you have everything else already in (PS, LORs, transcripts, etc).

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Schools see every score:
View attachment 230462
Unofficial are the ones I entered the day I took it, Official are the ones that were uploaded by the ADA.

I would say submit right after you take it in July. Schools may already make a decision on you with your current scores if you were to apply in June and/or they may "forget" about you since you don't have the "right" scores in yet (ie. your retake scores). July is still early enough. Just make sure you have everything else already in (PS, LORs, transcripts, etc).

Hey! So I currently have a score of AA 20/TS 20 and will be doing a retake on June 4th. If I score higher, then should I put the retake score on my app when I submit it even though it hasn’t been official? If I happen to score lower (hope this doesn’t happen), do I put the best score or the recent score? I heard that ADA sends the first batch out in late June, so hopefully my score gets verified before they send my app to the school..?

Hey! So I currently have a score of AA 20/TS 20 and will be doing a retake on June 4th. If I score higher, then should I put the retake score on my app when I submit it even though it hasn’t been official? If I happen to score lower (hope this doesn’t happen), do I put the best score or the recent score? I heard that ADA sends the first batch out in late June, so hopefully my score gets verified before they send my app to the school..?
You have to report all scores. The vast majority of schools consider the most recent attempt (33), while some take the highest score (24). 4 schools average all of your DAT attempts and 4 schools consider all attempts. Take a look at the doc toothache thread about this topic.

2017 DAT Deadlines/Age of DAT/Multiple Scores/Canadian/Consideration Without DAT Scores

You have to submit/report all scores, whether or not you score well/higher. In regards to batches, there aren't batches anymore- schools get your app in real time. As soon as you submit, your app will be verified (they verify your GPA), and then will be sent out to schools immediately. GPA verification takes a while though, like up to 3 weeks for this past cycle, so your DAT scores should technically be verified by the time your GPA gets verified too.

Reactions: 1 user
You have to submit/report all scores, whether or not you score well/higher. In regards to batches, there aren't batches anymore- schools get your app in real time. As soon as you submit, your app will be verified (they verify your GPA), and then will be sent out to schools immediately. GPA verification takes a while though, like up to 3 weeks for this past cycle, so your DAT scores should technically be verified by the time your GPA gets verified too.

Oh okay! So I wouldn’t be late in sending new DAT score after submitting the application then. Thanks!

I retook my DAT in August and I had submitted in June. Just notify the dental schools that you have a new score coming and they will wait before they make a decision on your app but it will still show you submitted early. (Some schools may consider it incomplete til then, thats up to them). Some asked me to fax my unofficial scores to them ASAP and thats what I did. I dont think its late at lll

Schools see every score:
View attachment 230462

I believe your application is not complete until your DAT scores are submitted.