Retaking GRE and submitting scores after submitting PTCAS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DPTMan2024

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

Apologies if this question was answered in another thread; Tried searching for this question but couldn't find any answers with searching. I'm currently applying to PT School and have the following stats:

GPA= 3.82
pGPA= 3.4 - 3.6
GRE V154 Q141 W4.0
Extracurriculars: 400 hours pt setting, + 60 hours volunteer setting, Volunteer work at community centers, 3 LOR, 5+ Years Personal Training work experience, CSCS & Multiple PT Certifications

My question is; is it worth retaking the GRE to get a better score if it delays submitting the application? I know most PT Schools operate on a rolling deadline, so waiting for a higher GRE score to submit the PTCAS might not be the best idea. If retaking the GRE is needed, is it possible to submit the PTCAS and retake the GRE and submit a higher score after PTCAS is submitted? I know you can submit scores through ETS directly to schools, but would not having a GRE score attached to the PTCAS application (or a different score) lead to issues?

Thank you so much!

Members don't see this ad.

With your stats + extracurriculars, I'd be pretty shocked if you didn't get into a program. I'm not sure if schools are requiring the GRE, I'm a second year student and heard from faculty at my school that they probably won't be requiring it... so I'm not sure if that's for future cycles or already implemented.

Based off GRE score, I'd recommend you retake it and try to get your quant score to 150+ as 150/150 is generally the "average" score seen to get into most PT programs. Obviously there is a ton of variability because it depends on interview skills, other stats, experiences, essays, etc. I believe there probably would be an issue if you didn't attach the GRE scores to your application.

I think the best option would to be to reach out to the schools you're interested in and ask them what they think you should do, see if they allow you to send updated GRE results directly to them.