Retaking MCAT and Applying Early

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ibn Rushd

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I've heard time and time again that applying early is key to being competitive in the cycle. Applying early means getting secondaries early, which in turn means interviewing early, which in turn means getting acceptances early, hopefully.

I'll be retaking the MCAT in June, the 18th to be precise. That means my scores won't be coming back until mid-July. My plan is to apply with my current, not so amazing score, and somehow indicating on my application that a new score is pending. My question is, how exactly is that done? I know a lot of schools have cut-offs. Will I be screened out at them before my new, hopefully much improved score comes out?

I guess the other option is to just wait until mid-July before submitting the application. That way I'll have an improved MCAT score to begin with and nothing would be pending. What should I do? Input is appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

submit your app with your current score as as soon as your schedule permits. there is an option when fillling out MCAT score where you can let them know that you are planning on retaking. MAKE SURE YOU CHECK THIS or else they wont wait for your scores and you could be rejected w/o your fair shot and most recent score.

^ Thanks Ryserr! That's good to know.

As for schools that screen ... would they just wait until the new score before comparing my stats against their cut-offs?

Members don't see this ad :)
im retaking the mcat april 24th. hopefully ill have everything done by june 5th. man this studying is sooooooooooo hard.

if i dont get in this year, im going to seriously be depressed.

^ Thanks Ryserr! That's good to know.

As for schools that screen ... would they just wait until the new score before comparing my stats against their cut-offs?

Yea, they wont make any decision on your file until it is complete. Its not complete until your new score is in.

^ That makes sense. Thanks man.

One last question! Say I want to add/remove schools depending on my second go at the MCAT. If I do better I may add a few schools and remove others. Can I add schools after the new score? Can I remove them? Does doing so also depend on when my application is complete?

^ That makes sense. Thanks man.

One last question! Say I want to add/remove schools depending on my second go at the MCAT. If I do better I may add a few schools and remove others. Can I add schools after the new score? Can I remove them? Does doing so also depend on when my application is complete?

You can add schools at any time after you have submitted your AMCAS applicatino. You just log back on and click the schools you want to add. Many people do it this way if they are waiting for another MCAT score......they fill out and submit AMCAS with only a few schools that they might like. Then, if they get their MCAT score back and it is better they add more schools that they are now competitive at. You dont need to remove schools since you have already paid the money to send your primary app there. If you no longer want to apply to a school after you have submitted your AMCAS, then just don't fill out or return their secondary.

Thanks a lot man! The help is much appreciated.