Retaking MCAT at end of Summer...need help!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

timmyboy213

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I am planning on taking the MCAT again at the end of the summer (late August/early September), however, I am not sure what to indicate on my AMCAS application.

When I talked to an AMCAS representative, I was told that if I indicated on my AMCAS application that I was waiting on a test score (even though I already have a previous score) schools would wait for the second score before processing my application. Is this what really happens?

I wanted to submit my application with my first score (31M) and allow the schools to send me secondary applications (assuming the score was good enough). If the score wasn't good enough for some of the schools, then, they could wait for my second test scores and act accordingly. Is there any way to do this option?

Essentially, I am asking if it is possible to submit the AMCAS application with only my first scores so that my application is processed immediately by some schools if good enough, but schools that are on the border will wait for my second test scores?

I don't want schools to weed me out based on my first scores without seeing my second scores, but I don't want the schools to wait until they receive my second scores to process my application. Does this make sense?

After speaking with the AMCAS representative, I am now confused on the process. If anyone could shed some light on how I go about doing this within my AMCAS application, I would much appreciate it.

I apologize if this post is confusing.

Thanks so much!!

Members don't see this ad.

When you indicate on amcas that you are taking the MCAT, schools will put your app in a separate pile. Schools will not look at you app until those scores come in. You will be late if you submit scores In September. Something that can help is if you submit your amcas for verification in June and have secondary essays written. So when schools send you a seconday in sept/oct , you can submit it in a day or two.

IMHO Being complete anytime after aug. (secondaries and all) makes you late and gives you a lower chance of receiving and acceptance letter. Unless you get a 40+ on the aug/sept MCAT and awesome EC's

Could you take the MCAT in July????. That would help a little. 31 is a good score, you may hurt your chances if you score less this time.

Members don't see this ad :)
I really wanted to take the test again because I had a rather low score in my verbal section (I had a bad verbal day).

Is it possible for me to not indicate on AMCAS that I am taking the test again (so they use my first score and they don't wait for my second score), and then have my second score sent as soon as it arrives?

This way they would start looking at my application as soon as I submit it but they would still get my second score if the first score wasn't good enough for them.

I don't know if it works like this, but if someone could enlighten me, I would much appreciate it. Thanks in advance!!

If anyone has some input on my situation, I would much appreciate it :)