Retaking MCAT - should I submit apps now or after I receive new score

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ERgeek44

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am in need of some solid advice - as I do not have much confidence in my premed advisors on campus considering there hasn't been a single one here for more than 6 months as a premed advisor.

I took my MCAT in April, and received a low score (498 - yikes), a score not good enough to get into my top school picks. I am retaking it July 22nd. I want to know if I should apply to schools I know I have a chance of getting into with my score now (Temple U. is one of those choices) and send my new one and wait to apply to the more competitive schools once I get my new score if it improves. I am a well rounded student, with really high grades: I have worked 600 hours in the hospital, am doing research this summer and have a 3.85 GPA, 3.75 science GPA and I have great LORs lined up.

Opinions/advice/feedback GREATLY APPRECIATED

-sincerely, a worried, sleepless premed :p

Members don't see this ad.

I think that the general consensus on here is to submit now, but only list one reach school for verification purpose. Add schools that you are actually very interested in after you get the MCAT score back. This strategy allows for you to go ahead and get in the verification queue.

Also, I would suggest buying a copy of the MSAR if you haven't already. Temple's 10th percentile MCAT is a 29, which is somewhere close to a ~506. That would mean you are well below the 10th percentile of matriculants.

I would also suggest that you make sure that you are indeed ready to take the MCAT again so soon- to overcome a 498, you are going to have to do significantly better than that the next time around. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I think that the general consensus on here is to submit now, but only list one reach school for verification purpose. Add schools that you are actually very interested in after you get the MCAT score back. This strategy allows for you to go ahead and get in the verification queue.

Also, I would suggest buying a copy of the MSAR if you haven't already. Temple's 10th percentile MCAT is a 29, which is somewhere close to a ~506. That would mean you are well below the 10th percentile of matriculants.

I would also suggest that you make sure that you are indeed ready to take the MCAT again so soon- to overcome a 498, you are going to have to do significantly better than that the next time around. Good luck!

I have been looking through MSAR, which is why I am very concerned - my test date just did not go well for me honestly think I had jitters. Thanks for your advice!

Submit with single school for verification. Add schools after you get your new score. Apply DO as well.

Reactions: 1 user
I would apply DO because I understand that their acceptance is much greater, but I only wish to pursue MD.

What does the MSAR tell you? Have you found any MD schools where a 498 is even near the 10th percentile? What schools do you "know you have a chance of getting into with your score now"? Perhaps you should not apply this year. Spend several months prepping for the retake and see what happens. Since you are totally adverse to DO to apply MD with a 498 and an unknown retake isn't showing good judgement.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app

I would apply DO because I understand that their acceptance is much greater, but I only wish to pursue MD.

Dude you have a 498... You would be lucky to even get a DO interview. Spend months on a retake and get a 510+ and then we'll talk about MD

Reactions: 2 users
Dude you have a 498... You would be lucky to even get a DO interview. Spend months on a retake and get a 510+ and then we'll talk about MD
thanks for the support..........................................................

thanks for the support..........................................................

Reality hurts sometimes, and the reality is that you, currently, are not competative even for DO. I never said you couldn't do it, you just need to ace an MCAT retake. Before doing that you are in no position to be choosy with any schools. I suggest taking a gap year and putting everything you have into your retake. Applying with your current score will basically be donating secondary $$ to schools.

Take a look at what the differences are, if you want to be a doctor, there's nothing wrong with going DO. Its the older generation that maintains the stigma, you're a doctor whether you're an MD or DO.

Do not waste any more money. Take your time with MCAT prep, take in July or later when you feel confident that you can score high enough to negate your current score. Once you get your second score back, make a list, focusing on schools that don't average your scores. You might also want to learn more about DO before you apply next year.

A 498 seems a bit low for "jitters." What were your practice test scores before the first test. What are they currently? How much do you think you can improve your scores with another MCAT? Retaking the test too soon could give you another low score which could be a huge red flag.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Don't apply MD this cycle. Period. Carefully consider applying DO this year.

Beggars can't be choosy. You'd be rejected at my school, CCOM, AZCOM, PCOM, CUSOM, BCOM, the coastal Touros, and KCU.

Don't even think about retaking the MCAT until you fix your deficits. If you have test taking anxiety, that can be fixed.

Also keep in mind that AMCAS recommends that MCAT scores be averaged, and medical students who took > 1 MCAT, in fact, perform about where their averages lie.