retaking mcat

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

funfeet

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a 2.9 gpa. i took the april mcat and got a 22. i know neither are really strong. i want to retake the mcat in jan on the computer. i plan on applying to schools for fall 2007. However, I want to get my application in at the end of Sept. Will it hurt my chances telling them I plan on retaking? Other words, will they put it aside until my scores come back in Feb?

also, since my gpa is low, would anyone suggest just waiting to apply until the end of fall semester to get my gpa up? i'm actually taking classes i will enjoy.

Members don't see this ad.

funfeet said:
I have a 2.9 gpa. i took the april mcat and got a 22. i know neither are really strong. i want to retake the mcat in jan on the computer. i plan on applying to schools for fall 2007. However, I want to get my application in at the end of Sept. Will it hurt my chances telling them I plan on retaking? Other words, will they put it aside until my scores come back in Feb?

also, since my gpa is low, would anyone suggest just waiting to apply until the end of fall semester to get my gpa up? i'm actually taking classes i will enjoy.

Your GPA is low and your MCAT is below average but I think you should still get your app in early. I dont think it can hurt you. I know admissions is getting more competetive so you might want to call the schools and ask for advice. Good luck.

funfeet said:

Go ahead and apply. What you will find out is that if you apply early, many schools are more likely to invite you for an interview b/c they have filled few seats. Most of the schools will probably want you to get your GPA above a 3.0, which is very reasonable in your situation. Also, let them know that you are retaking the MCAT in Jan. Even though your previous scores are low, they may see your retaking the test as a mark of persistence and let you in. Remember, its better to have tried and failed, then to have never tried at all.

Members don't see this ad :)
I had emailed Scholl and a few other schools about when they prefer me retaking the mcat (better in Aug than jan?) The Admissions Coordinator at Scholl told me not to even retake the mcat and that i would be fine with the numbers i have. however, i'm still nervous b/c i think its low. Do you think i should still retake it or not?

funfeet said:
I had emailed Scholl and a few other schools about when they prefer me retaking the mcat (better in Aug than jan?) The Admissions Coordinator at Scholl told me not to even retake the mcat and that i would be fine with the numbers i have. however, i'm still nervous b/c i think its low. Do you think i should still retake it or not?

I am starting at Scholl in the fall. Kimberly Young, which is probably who you spoke with, knows a lot about the process and the numbers that they are looking for. However, go ahead and take it again. After all, what have you go to lose? If you don't interview at some schools until after you take it in Jan., then a higher score will make you look better on your interview.

funfeet said:

If you apply early you might be able to get in without retaking your MCAT. At worst they will ask you take it again, and may grant you a conditional acceptance if you get some preset score. I know that your stats will get you in somewhere even w/o retaking it.