Retaking Spanish?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

I.I.I.

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took AP Spanish in high school, and I got credit for 3 semesters. However, I want to take it in college, starting from the beginning because I want to be fluent before medical school by first mastering basic Spanish. I was wondering if this would hurt my chances of getting into medical school because admissions might perceive it as me either getting an easy A, so it doesnt really count, or if they think I am just doing this to get an A. What do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think the best way to become fluent, even if you have to resort to only classes, is to take basic classes. Basic Spanish is pretty useless and it's really pretty easy when you're exposed to it and forced to use it. I'd start with the last semester of the intro sequence, expecting you'll have to work pretty hard at it, then take upper level classes. Go abroad once you're decent using the language

Tbh, if I could re do my learning of Spanish, I'd just spend a summer in Bolivia getting $7/hr private lessons and making local friends.

I don't think the best way to become fluent, even if you have to resort to only classes, is to take basic classes. Basic Spanish is pretty useless and it's really pretty easy when you're exposed to it and forced to use it. I'd start with the last semester of the intro sequence, expecting you'll have to work pretty hard at it, then take upper level classes. Go abroad once you're decent using the language

Tbh, if I could re do my learning of Spanish, I'd just spend a summer in Bolivia getting $7/hr private lessons and making local friends.
Everyone learns differently. Depending on where OP lives, immersion does not require travel to other countries. I go 4 days/week without speaking English where I live (except at work).

Reactions: 1 user
Everyone learns differently. Depending on where OP lives, immersion does not require travel to other countries. I go 4 days/week without speaking English where I live (except at work).
I'm jealous!

It's a good point and certainly something to consider. I said Bolivia because the scenery is gorgeous, there's a lot of fun stuff to do, and because both cost of living and lessons are absurdly cheap. Mostly I really miss that place :p

The admissions people will not care.
However, Spanish 1 in college is very, very easy and I do not know that it will help you. Talk to a Spanish faculty member about your goals. If you start in a more advanced class, you can take a larger number of advanced classes, and learn more. Also, volunteer in a local clinic or social services center whose clientele is largely unilingual Spanish. Even if you are just filing it will give you good and practical experience. Try a summer medical service trip to a Spanish-speaking country.

I intend on taking Spanish for 3 years, Basic, intemediate, and more advanced classes.

Have you looked at college Spanish programs? Colleges with Spanish departments offer 15 or more classes just in Spanish language (and more in Spanish culture). Retaking classes you have already taken will limit the other classes - like Spanish for Health Professions. If you spend three years on Spanish 1, 2 and 3, you'll miss out on more advanced learning,

Getting the sort of immersion you need here (and there must be some immersion) is a slower and less efficient process than what you get going abroad.

I get the impulse to go back and review--I took 3 years in high school, then 3 semesters in college, but it's been two years and I feel like I've already forgotten a lot.

Most universities will have a placement test you can take to test out of lower-level Spanish if you've taken it before. If you're set on reviewing some things you've done before, ask if you can take the test, then start one class below where you tested, which will likely be one of the intermediate classes (learning past tenses, commands, etc.).

Since beginning Spanish is often a whole year of acquiring basic vocab and conjugating in the present tense, which you've already done, starting at intermediate might be better for you. Even if you don't remember all the vocabulary, your familiarity with the words will allow you to pick them back up much faster than you think. In short...you will be bored to tears in Spanish I learning the alphabet, numbers, colors, and how to say "Where is the bathroom?"