Retaking the AAMC Preview Test? Also do I need to retake the CASPER?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

amoxicillin_resistant

Reaction score
Hello, sorry if this question was asked before, but I was wondering if there is any merit in retaking a prereview test from 6/8/21 as I am planning on applying for the 2024 cycle. Also was wondering if I need to retake the casper since I took it in 2021

The percentile rank effective date is 5/1/22 and I have scored a 6, placing me in 78%. Just some stats:
1. 3.6 cGPA, 3.8 sGPA, 4.0 post bacc gpa, strong upward curve.
2. 511 total MCAT, 127 CHEM, 127 CARS, 128 BIO, 129 PSYCH
3. CA native, resident
4. ORM, asian
5. Graduated from UC Irvine
6. Tons of clinical experience, worked as a MA, Phlebotomist, lab assistant
7. Minor research experience at UCI, but have done a lot of lab work in public health
8. Lots of shadowing from family care, internal med
9. Lots of volunteering in education
10. Have a degree as a CLS (Clinical Lab Scientist, basically the people who analyze patient samples for labwork)

Thank You!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello, sorry if this question was asked before, but I was wondering if there is any merit in retaking a prereview test from 6/8/21 as I am planning on applying for the 2024 cycle. Also was wondering if I need to retake the casper since I took it in 2021

The percentile rank effective date is 5/1/22 and I have scored a 6, placing me in 78%. Just some stats:
1. 3.6 cGPA, 3.8 sGPA, 4.0 post bacc gpa, strong upward curve.
2. 511 total MCAT, 127 CHEM, 127 CARS, 128 BIO, 129 PSYCH
3. CA native, resident
4. ORM, asian
5. Graduated from UC Irvine
6. Tons of clinical experience, worked as a MA, Phlebotomist, lab assistant
7. Minor research experience at UCI, but have done a lot of lab work in public health
8. Lots of shadowing from family care, internal med
9. Lots of volunteering in education
10. Have a degree as a CLS (Clinical Lab Scientist, basically the people who analyze patient samples for labwork)

Thank You!
Check your school list to see which schools require these tests.
The tests have changed a bit since 2021 and a new one is asked for each new application cycle.
Only about 24 AMCAS schools ask for the PREview this year, and 31 MD schools ask for CASPer

Reactions: 1 user
I have moved your question to the appropriate forum for Casper and other SJT.

Whether you need to take Casper and the AAMC PREview again is independent of your stats and app profile. Casper must be retaken for every app cycle. For AAMC PREview, you should check each school you are applying to that requires it and see what details they post on their website. I found one for UC Davis that seems to say they will accept past scores including the one that was under a different name in 2021.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Casper is only valid during the application cycle when you took the exam.

PREview results are meant to be valid for up to 3 application cycles (similar to the MCAT), but you need to check the schools who need it first. No schools has (yet) published a distribution of PREview scores within its entering class on the MSAR. I would say since you didn't score at 4 or below (bottom half of test-takers), you are likely fine with holding on to your 6.

Casper is only valid during the application cycle when you took the exam.

PREview results are meant to be valid for up to 3 application cycles (similar to the MCAT), but you need to check the schools who need it first. No schools has (yet) published a distribution of PREview scores within its entering class on the MSAR. I would say since you didn't score at 4 or below (bottom half of test-takers), you are likely fine with holding on to your 6.
Thanks for that bit of information, I was not aware that some schools will accept PREview results from prior years

Thanks for that bit of information, I was not aware that some schools will accept PREview results from prior years
That's my understanding from a presentation at a recent advisors conference.

Also note:
All scores from any PREview exams you have taken and elected to score, including any in 2020 and 2021 when the exam was called the AAMC SJT, will be made available to AMCAS participating medical schools as a PREview score. (source)

Also AMCAS SJT table: https://students-residents.aamc.org/system/files/2023-05/MSAR_Situational_Judgment_Test_(SJT)_and_or_other_Assessments_05.11.23.pdf