Retaking the DAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

predentalstudentDDS

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got a 17 on my DAT the first time. Not great... I know. I am ready to start studying again and retake my DAT for the next cycle. I plan on taking it early June, does anyone have any recommendations on how they spent their time wisely while studying? I feel like my first time taking it, I didn't really know how to properly study, and would love any advice/input! Also, does anyone think studying for the DAT for 2 months is good doable? Of course, I won't take it if I'm not ready, but my goal is early June. Any advice would be greatly appreciated since I definitely need a motivational/confidence boost at this moment.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
What did you use to study for the first round?

Defeatthedat has a ton of great, free practice problems for chem, ochem, and qr. I would rank that first, bootcamp 2nd, and destroyer 3rd.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think 2 months is very doable, that is roughly how long I studied. What Worked for me is splitting up the study time, so for the first 3-4 weeks focus on reviewing/studying the material (bio, gen chem, ochem, and QR). Then for your next 5-6 weeks I'd switch the focus to practice tests. Get a whole bunch full-length practice tests and do a lot of them. At least one full-length test every few days. Do this while you continue to study the material and you should be good!

When I started the second half of my studying I had a schedule set up like this *Wake up: Practice PAT for 1 hour, eat breakfast. After a well balanced and delicious breakfast, I'd spend 2-3 hours reviewing material then take a practice test, eat lunch/dinner, then finally review all incorrect answers, then sleep. Repeat.

Thank you!! I have not heard of defeattheDAT, I will check it out. Thank you all!!

My first round, I used bootcamp and qvault, and chad's.

Definitely make sure you know everything in chad's, watch them over and over until you know everything. for anatomy and physiology for bio section, i would use ak lectures videos on youtube, and then the rest i would go over ap cliffnotes bio. for math, get math destroyer, if you go through the entire book you would basically have done any type of problem that would come up on the dat. Additionally for the sciences, I would go through datgenius's free notes as they are extremely detailed and covers everything that would come up. datgenius's paid practice tests are also pretty accurate in terms of difficulty compared with the actual dat. dat destroyer is also good if you have enough time but for the sciences it is unnecessarily difficult so if you don't have time then i don't think its necessary. two months is definitely enough time if you put your mind to it. I would start out learning all of the material for the first month and then start doing practice problems and learning material that you missed in the practice problems.

First thing is first, set a goal. I studied for about 6 months (3 months hardcore). In my mind I set my goal to be a modest 21. I say modest because i speak in terms of SDN. But I just wanted a 21 and every time I studied I would say to myself "cmon man work harder we need to get that 21!" needless to say I got a 21AA, 21TS, 21OC, 21RC, 21 BIO, and 21 GC

Work hard but set goals.

Oh and there are tons of breakdowns on SDN

Last edited:
There are a lot of people on SDN that have posted their scores and a very detailed summary of what material they used. I suggest find one of those many guides that are on the DAT section of this forum. You'll see a common theme among the materials that most people use and succeed with.