Retaking the DAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Concepcion10

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
It looks like I will be reapplying next May/June. I know I can do better on the DAT the second time around and was wondering when would be the best time to take it to ensure that I am still considered an "early" applicant? I plan on having LOR, Transcripts, personal stat., and all other things in to addsas by the middle of May and then I am unsure about the DAT. Last year I got screwed bc I took the DAT on september 4 and they didnt receive the score for 3 weeks. So in short I wasn't complete until early October or something like that...LATE! I am thinking graduate study in May and retake in June. Or should I have it done and ready by June 1st?

Members don't see this ad.

The "lateness" of your last year's DAT was the least of your problems.

Members don't see this ad :)
Concentrate on improving both your gpa and your dat. Contrary to popular belief applying early with mediocre stats does not increase one's chance of acceptance.

Concentrate on improving both your gpa and your dat. Contrary to popular belief applying early with mediocre stats does not increase one's chance of acceptance.

Though it does more benefit than harm. Applying late with bad stats equals no love from any dental schools.

OP I would say you are safe to take your DAT in June. AADSAS takes a long time to process stuff and then the schools don't start looking at it until July at the earliest. As long as your application is in early it will be at the top of their stack and then when they get to your file they grab the DAT numbers off the computer.

Doc Toothache does have a strong point though. In this 5-6 months before you application goes out do everything possible to polish it up and present your best side. Too many people wait till the last minute and submit less than quality work just to have it in on May 15th.

Though it does more benefit than harm. Applying late with bad stats equals no love from any dental schools.
As long as your application is in early it will be at the top of their stack and then when they get to your file they grab the DAT numbers off the computer.

Maybe. But more likely the stacking will be based on stats rather than date of receipt of the application.