Retaking the MCAT and reapplying

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

morrey

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am retaking the MCAT in July. I got a 31 my first try (13 BS 11 PS 7V). I applied last year ( late in the cycle) but didnt receive any interviews. Should I apply in June or should I wait for my second MCAT scores? Also my sGPA is 3.89 and cGPA is 3.72

Members don't see this ad.

Where did you apply and where is your state of residence ? Definitely apply in June since your late application last year was probably a major factor in your lack of interviews.

Members don't see this ad :)
I reside in California and I applied to all of the CA schools and some in NY and Chicago

I suggest you apply in June and submit all your secondaries by July. Schools to consider include
Quinnipiac
Vermont
Hofstra
New York Medical College
Albany
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Commonwealth (PA)
Penn State
GW
Oakland Beaumont
Western Michigan
Rosalind Franklin
Rush
Loyola
St. Louis
Creighton
Your CA schools (but do not place much hope in those)
Any new private MD schools that open in 2016
I also strongly recommend applying to at least 10 DO schools in the same time frame and you should be fine for a DO acceptance.

Apply to a "throwaway school" to get verified, and once your MCAT score is in, apply and apply well.

I am retaking the MCAT in July. I got a 31 my first try (13 BS 11 PS 7V). I applied last year ( late in the cycle) but didnt receive any interviews. Should I apply in June or should I wait for my second MCAT scores? Also my sGPA is 3.89 and cGPA is 3.72

Reactions: 1 user

Don't wait. If your application show some promise and your MCAT score improves, it will fulfill some school's criteria and you will receive secondary applications as soon as the MCAT score comes out.

The only the thing I would add is if you're retaking it in late July, your application will be 3 months behind most applications. Imagine the quality of schools with rolling admissions you'll have a much better chance at if you apply 6/1/16 with a GPA of 3.9 and an MCAT of 33-36.

Your GPA looks good, the 7 in verbal may be what killed you last cycle, but it could well be your school lists and essays. You applied to locations where everyone would want to go also (CA, NY, Chicago), so mediocrity may not cut it. Goro's idea is good, and you should probably do extensive revamping of your school list to add in a good number of mid-state schools.

1. MCAT "may" be your issue, considering the 7 in verbal
2. School list is too geographically-based, meaning they are all in popular locations. look for schools that may not be in the best locations but could do what you want to do.
3. re-examine your essays, do you tell a compelling story and play to your strong points?