Retaking the MCAT

Started by cj123
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

cj123

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I will be retaking the MCAT in January.
On the July 27th MCAT, my score was a 26 (10 verbal, 8 bio, 8 physical science). Most of my studying for this was from May 15th-July 26th and included Princeton Review online lectures and all the AAMC practice tests as well as two PR tests. I did not do all of the Princeton Review homework passages; although, I did some. I was concentrated mainly on knowing the material and taking the practice tests. My practice tests scores close to test time were 29's and 30 (on AAMC, Princeton was 25,26). I was really hoping for at least a 30 on my actual test.
Currently I am researching how to best prepare for the retake of the MCAT. I will have a longer time period to study but less hours per day since I have a full class schedule and research. It is important for me to maintain my GPA (3.9) but also study as much as I can for the MCAT.
I already did the Princeton Review online course over the summer, but other options I am looking into for MCAT prep this semester are:
-a MCAT course at my school
-Kaplan in class setting
-Princeton review small group (4 students)
Would these be a waste of time since I have already done a course?
Generally for studying for classes, I study best alone, but the MCAT is different. I become so anxious about "the best way to study" that I feel like I need guidance, especially for the final fine-tuning stages-those are the most difficult. My aim this time is a 32+.
Any advice on studying for a retake and the final tuning stages would be very helpful. Thanks!
 
Seems to me you've done all the "right" things... taking a course, taking the practice tests, etc. What you probably need now is to boost your core knowledge, esp since VR looked within your goal. For that, I'd try a different set of review books, for instance the BR or EK. From what I've read Kaplan isn't as helpful about teaching that core as others.

I also suggest you get a handle on your anxiety. It can play havoc in a test. For that, choose one method and stick with it. Be confident in your choice and don't look back.