Retate Gen Chem I

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PsP for real

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Im a rising junior and a KY resident.

I got a really low grade in gen chem freshman year first and second semester.
Gen Chem I C+
Gen Chem II B-

Otherwise my grades are pretty good. I have a 3.6cgpa and 3.44 BPCMgpa. I know that both of those need to improve and I'm already on a pretty intense upward trend so I don't think I wil have a problem increasing my sgpa to at least 3.5 something or maybe even 3.6 something. I am just worried that even if I get it up to like a 3.5 or 3.6 I will be looked down on because of my bad start. I have already taken orgo and got a b+ and an A- as well as some upper level science classes like signal transduction and got an A.

Should I consider retaking these or just move on and just keep cramming for the mcat.

Members don't see this ad.

Im a rising junior and a KY resident.

I got a really low grade in gen chem freshman year first and second semester.
Gen Chem I C+
Gen Chem II B-

Otherwise my grades are pretty good. I have a 3.6cgpa and 3.44 BPCMgpa. I know that both of those need to improve and I'm already on a pretty intense upward trend so I don't think I wil have a problem increasing my sgpa to at least 3.5 something or maybe even 3.6 something. I am just worried that even if I get it up to like a 3.5 or 3.6 I will be looked down on because of my bad start. I have already taken orgo and got a b+ and an A- as well as some upper level science classes like signal transduction and got an A.

Should I consider retaking these or just move on and just keep cramming for the mcat.

I would move on and cram for the MCAT. Get 30+ and you'll be ok. Those two grades aren't great but your overall numbers are good and you're from KY where they love their own residents and aren't too numbers neurotic.

I only had a 3.6cGPA and 3.47sGPA and got into University of KY as an out of state applicant so I think you'll be ok.

Make sure you have good ECs and have lots of clinical experience.

That will be far more important than a B and C in chem classes.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would move on and cram for the MCAT. Get 30+ and you'll be ok. Those two grades aren't great but your overall numbers are good and you're from KY where they love their own residents and aren't too numbers neurotic.

I only had a 3.6cGPA and 3.47sGPA and got into University of KY as an out of state applicant so I think you'll be ok.

Make sure you have good ECs and have lots of clinical experience.

That will be far more important than a B and C in chem classes.

Thanks for the advice. I really want to go to UK and maybe do EDP! I grew up in lexington and my family lives there so it makes perfect sense for me to go there.

Is there anything else you might have gathered about it. I have pretty good ECs; 6 weeks providing medical supplies in rural paraguay, 1 year as an EMT paid for the university and as a volunteer in the community, brief research experience, some shadowing (60 hours currently), ect.

Like I said before I am really hoping to get my cgpa to a 3.7 or 3.65 minimum and a sgpa to a 3.63 or at least a 3.55 minimum. I also have already started studying for the MCAT and just did a diagnostic.

Thanks for the advice. I really want to go to UK and maybe do EDP! I grew up in lexington and my family lives there so it makes perfect sense for me to go there.

Is there anything else you might have gathered about it. I have pretty good ECs; 6 weeks providing medical supplies in rural paraguay, 1 year as an EMT paid for the university and as a volunteer in the community, brief research experience, some shadowing (60 hours currently), ect.

Like I said before I am really hoping to get my cgpa to a 3.7 or 3.65 minimum and a sgpa to a 3.63 or at least a 3.55 minimum. I also have already started studying for the MCAT and just did a diagnostic.

I think you'll be ok. Get >30 on the MCAT and keep up your GPA. Make yourself an interesting applicant and do well on the interview.

On the bright side once you have the interview they have a fast turnaround time for response. I think I interviewed there on a Friday and someone called me the following Tuesday to let me know I had been accepted.

I agree that you aren't obliged to retake Gen Chem, especially as you did well in OChem. The only exception would be if you didn't grasp the material well enough to ace that part of the MCAT and self-review/self-learning isn't going well.

Thanks for the advice. I took a diagnostic last week and got a 20 with no studying and everything which kinda sucked but it was all balanced at least 7/6/7. I have already started to review the gen chem stuff and its going better than anticipated. (I havn't had any physics or anatomy yet that will be this year).

On another note I was wondering what MCAT I should be shooting for if I wanted to do EDP to UK. Just thinking ahead I guess and I know that I am going to try to get the best I can. Like I said above I have a tad lower then UKs average but grew up in lexington k-12 and all that jazz.

As a 3.8/31 are the median stats for those accepted to Kentucky, considering that the general rule of thumb is that with EDP you be should better than their average student, if your cGPA is a 3.6, then the minimum MCAT to consider going EDP would be a 34.

Even if you meet or exceed that number, the common wisdom of SDN if not to go EDP unless you are obliged due to family constraints to stay in an area.