Retention/Drop Out Rates of DO Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Drrrrrr. Celty

Osteo Dullahan
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I was doing a little bit of snooping on Osteopathic and discovered that a few schools mentioned have overall drop out rates nearing 20% per class and I'm kinda shocked. So I'm curious if you know the drop out overall drop out rate of schools by class ( not the drop out average).

Thanks. Post away. :laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

Bump.

Interested in this as well.

So, I was doing a little bit of snooping on Osteopathic and discovered that a few schools mentioned have overall drop out rates nearing 20% per class and I'm kinda shocked. So I'm curious if you know the drop out overall drop out rate of schools by class ( not the drop out average).

OMG! Why do we have the same posts over and over and over again. on the pre-allo/allo forum they are talking about research opportunities/EC activities and other useful stuff while on pre-osteo/osteo forum we always talk about the same crap!

See the following Active thread on Osteo forum which YOU have posted on in the near past (i.e. couple of days ago):

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=884030

Here are the official data from AACOM:
http://www.aacom.org/data/Documents/2011-COM-Attrition-Summary.pdf

There are 2 schools that had 2-3 classes with high attrition rates over the past 7 years.

However, the average attrition rate for all DO schools per class is about 10% which includes dissmisals and voluntary withdrawals (e.g. family/personal reasons).

Members don't see this ad :)
Our school loses maybe 1-2 students/year out of all four years. It's actually harder to get out of here than into!

Our Dean firmly believes that if we accept them then we have to do everything in our power to make sure they graduate.

QUOTE=serenade;12072645]So, I was doing a little bit of snooping on Osteopathic and discovered that a few schools mentioned have overall drop out rates nearing 20% per class and I'm kinda shocked. So I'm curious if you know the drop out overall drop out rate of schools by class ( not the drop out average).

Thanks. Post away. :laugh:[/QUOTE]

Our school loses maybe 1-2 students/year out of all four years. It's actually harder to get out of here than into!

Our Dean firmly believes that if we accept them then we have to do everything in our power to make sure they graduate.

which school is that?

Fill me in on what schools have a 20% attrition rate? PCOM has a 1-2% loss rate. I personally only know of 1 person who has left my class.

Just let this be a lesson...verify every piece of information you hear. In the future you'll "hear" plenty of stuff from your classmates. Verify everything.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR THIS. People have been crying that DO schools fail out so much more than MD schools and 3% was used. Seriously. I am way happy you posted this.

These are good numbers to see, and even better when you realize that the fail out vs. drop out ratio leans heavily toward drop out.

Dropping out is not what we want to see, but you have to realize that some people get a few years in and come to the realization that medicine just won't make them happy, or they have major life altering events that affect their ability to continue such strenuous studies etc. I can't blame most of them that do for electing to pursue other paths. And even at that, the numbers of people in this category are still extremely small.

Last edited:
They should also do some stats on the number of people in the 5 to 6 year program. For example, at my school, each incoming year absorbs approximately 10 people from previous years. There's a super senior at my school who is in his sixth actual year. Sure they're in medical school and haven't been dismissed yet, but an extra year or two of DO tuition? You're better off buying an AR-15 and robbing the nearest bank.

They should also do some stats on the number of people in the 5 to 6 year program. For example, at my school, each incoming year absorbs approximately 10 people from previous years. There's a super senior at my school who is in his sixth actual year. Sure they're in medical school and haven't been dismissed yet, but an extra year or two of DO tuition? You're better off buying an AR-15 and robbing the nearest bank.

I'm aware of 4 such students in my class, but as far as I'm aware they aren't charged for an extra year of tuition but rather pay only for the courses they took/have yet to take.

That's what they told a friend of mine who was held back his 2nd year. He tells me the money spent is virtually the same, minus 1-2 grand.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR THIS. People have been crying that DO schools fail out so much more than MD schools and 3% was used. Seriously. I am way happy you posted this.

Love your posts

haha no problem. As much as I talk about the issues at my school...it still annoys the $hit out of me to see people posting insane completely off base things about DO schools.

"The attrition rate is like zomzzzzz 80% brahhh and they just take ur moneyssss"

"Yo its cool that you cheated on all your exams, killed 6 italian greyhounds and drank their blood...just apply to DO schools they dont care about any unethical behavior"

ANNOYING

Reactions: 1 user
haha no problem. As much as I talk about the issues at my school...it still annoys the $hit out of me to see people posting insane completely off base things about DO schools.

"The attrition rate is like zomzzzzz 80% brahhh and they just take ur moneyssss"

"Yo its cool that you cheated on all your exams, killed 6 italian greyhounds and drank their blood...just apply to DO schools they dont care about any unethical behavior"

ANNOYING

:laugh:

Yeah, it's surprising what people decide to spout off the top of their heads.

It looks like the average attrition of 10% over all the 4 years includes COMLEX failures. How does this reconcile with the Board pass rate of average 89% that I saw thrown out for DO schools.

It looks like the average attrition of 10% over all the 4 years includes COMLEX failures. How does this reconcile with the Board pass rate of average 89% that I saw thrown out for DO schools.

Approx. 89% of first time takers pass it. So 11% of first time taker fail it but you don't get kicked out after failing COMLEX once. You have to fail it multiple times and lot less than 11% fail a given level multiple times.

Approx. 89% of first time takers pass it. So 11% of first time taker fail it but you don't get kicked out after failing COMLEX once. You have to fail it multiple times and lot less than 11% fail a given level multiple times.

Thanks. That makes sense